Old 09-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Kidney/Comma shaped drum
Pretty keen research. From the sounds of it Herr Stockhausen, might have had a few of these kicking around upon his death(2007). The "switch" referred to in the interview is the dual purpose muffler in the rough picture I posted. Here is another better picture of it as well as a Deri ( Deri is a composite name composed from DEibel and RImmel), Floor tom leg like the ones on the Kidney drum. Like a lot of tom legs, it is adapted from the lugs-----you can see the channel which houses the nut, in one of the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by calfskin; 09-19-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfskin View Post
Pretty keen research. From the sounds of it Herr Stockhausen, might have had a few of these kicking around upon his death(2007). The "switch" referred to in the interview is the dual purpose muffler in the rough picture I posted. Here is another better picture of it as well as a Deri ( Deri is a composite name composed from DEibel and RImmel), Floor tom leg like the ones on the Kidney drum. Like a lot of tom legs, it is adapted from the lugs-----you can see the channel which houses the nut, in one of the pictures.
incidentally..there is a book coming out next year all about Max Diebel and Lottogewinn Rimmel and their partnership..apparently it didnt last too long as Mr Deibel passed away early in thee 60's..it is due to come out early next year once the publishing rights have been approved (german and english) so i will keep everyone posted..
Great to see this very unusual drum and yes Phil is so right that Deri did also bring out a couple of crazy drums and the they first came in the following wraps with an added additional price depending on preference:
1.Natural laquered or a thin silver wrap basic price
2.Laquer in Ivory, blue or black + 10%
3.Pearl (Perloid) in grey or red or sparkle (Flitter) in red silver or gold
+ 35%
4.Black or white with tinsel (lametta) + 40%

I attatch a photo from the deri catalogue of the Model Dixi as previously mentioned!
Attached Thumbnails
56 Speedfire WMP
59 Speedfire Aqua
59 Speedfire Red Sparkle
59 Deri Dixi Red Perloid
59 Luxus BDP
60 Luxus Black Silver
61 Luxus WMP
62 Telstar Blue Stripe
62 Telstar Red Croc
62 Telstar Gold Croc
62 Telstar Blue Croc
63 Luxus Gold Croc
64 Speedfire Blue Sparkle
64 Luxus Black/Gold Spots
65 Speedfire Gold Croc
66 Luxus Blue Croc
66 Vox Thunderbolt Silver Croc
67 Vox Telstar Blue Croc
67 Vox Telstar Red Sparkle

Last edited by diamond; 09-19-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

1935 was when the company started, so the partnership was for a while-----25 years or so. Did you see the pictures of the Beverley snare on your Name this Snare thread, Dave?
Old 09-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

http://products.kolberg-percussion.c...duct/3563.html

Before KH. Stockhausen died, he tested this replacement for the Deri Kidney drum, made by Bernard Kolberg Percussion. Apparently it is the one necessary for any performance of Momente.--------only 3000.00+ Euros.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Perhaps in one of these recordings on YT. This is part 1 of which looks to be 6 or so total vids.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYySzTjyeGc&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:37 PM

Hi,
After having a conversation today with someone about his Staccatto / North drums, I mentioned the drum I designed in high school back in '74. Same design as this except tapered at the 6" end, and only a batter head. Mounts onto the kick with the center cross-strut.
Ludwig Jr. wanted to see a working prototype. Remo agreed to make a mylar head. One of my school mates, son of Dick Schory, tried to produce it under the name "Warp ll". It showed up on the Just Drums page in the back of Modern Drummer in January, just after I completed the prototype at college.
I came up with this design, purely out of clumsy sticking across multiple toms. I have the drawings from my HS architectural class in storage. I made a 1:16 scale model with clear acrylic shells, which I still have as well. Ed Breckenfeld was excited to see my drum, so he called to congradulate me. . .
but it wasn't mine. [mine was called the Unitom]. I don't know where I left the prototype. It also had mufflers to mute any cross-tones in the low end.
I had no idea that it was already made in Germany [late 50's] by Karl. I can only imagine what it would sound like with a single calf head! Maybe I should make another.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:47 PM
DrumBob

One thing is for certain; drummers are essentially conservative creatures who don't like too much change from the norm. Drums have to be round and tubular, with heads on top and bottom. Anything that's too weird or out there is going to flop big time: North drums (trumpet bells), Peavey drums (thread spools), and those oddball drums from the forties that had no tuning lugs and inside tensioning. Whitney nesting drums, I don't get at all, but some guys love them. They just look too strange for me.

Tags
comma drum , kindney drum , olimpass