Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 02-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: should I install consolette to virgin bass drum?

I haven't made a hole in a drum shell since I misplaced my good screwdriver and hammer. For what it's worth, I think you made the correct decision. The fact that you hesitated and asked tells us that you had doubts. Good move.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:46 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Ultimately, it's your drum and you should do with it whatever makes you happy... but if it were me, I wouldn't drill it. Here's why:

First, if you ever do choose to sell the drum, the value will have gone down if you've drilled it.

Second, I was never a fan of the Gretsch rail mounts. I've got a '50s RB kit, and I started off mounting the 13" tom on a snare stand. This killed the resonance, so I jettisoned that idea pretty quickly. Then I started using the original rail mount, but found that the positioning options were limited, the tom was wobbly, and it was just generally a pain to use. Finally, I bought a Pearl ISS mount (much easier to use and less intrusive-looking than a RIMS mount), and hung the tom from my crash cymbal stand. It's not a perfect vintage look, but I've been very happy. The tom resonates well, everything is sturdy, and it's easy to position at gigs. I actually removed the rail mount from my bass drum and don't use it.

As for the Gretsch cymbal holders... again, I'm not a fan of drilling valuable drums, but I do love my bass drum cymbal mount. I've heard of others having bad experiences with theirs, but I've had an old K mounted on mine for 15 years without any trouble.

Let us know what you decide to do! [EDIT: for some reason I didn't see that you'd made your decision before I posted this. Good call.]

Last edited by section2; 02-24-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:09 AM
Contributing Member

good choice - keep it virgin man,

you cant undrill holes, play with rims or a snare stand for a while and see if you like it. if you really hate it im sure you can trade for a kit that was factory with the consolette.

this is an on going debate, im not a collector but i heard this idea once which made a lot of sense to me -

vintage american drums are an integral part of the worlds musical history; and nobody can own history they can just be lucky enough to look after it for a while
Old 07-11-2010, 07:26 AM

I'm late to the discussion, but you could also consider a vintage 20's/30's bass-to-tom clamp. If you are unfamiliar, it is a tom holder that clamps to the bass hoop, and then clamps to the bottom hoop on the tom. They won't handle pounding metal rock, but they are a decent compromise. Hard to find, but they show up from time to time on ebay.