Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 AM

Default Signatures on K Istanbuls

Hey guys! So,... I bought a 14" K Istanbul cymbal a year ago, at a great price. And in order to get a nice hihat (cause it sounded awful as crash) i bought another one a few weeks ago. Unfortunately that one has a crack at the bell, but, seems quite stable, because it's pretty heavy (1000g +)
Both cymbals have the New Stamp. A few days ago i looked at the signatures, which are different in size, and it looks like it's still the same guy who signed them....
So, did i make a lucky punch now having a "really matched" hihat, if the word matched makes sense here?!
does the crack in the bottom cymbal's bell make a huge difference on value? it still sounds fab?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top sign 2.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	52896   Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom sign 2.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	52897  
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Signatures on K Istanbuls

I wouldn't depend on the signature in matching. As far as I know, there could be hundreds of Ks with the same signature. If you like how they sound, there's no problem w/ that, tho, and it looks like you DID get a matching pair after all.
I'm afraid the crack does reduce the value quite a bit, but again, if you like the sound, I don't see a problem (just make sure the crack really doesn't spread!).

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Signatures on K Istanbuls

Yes, I know this is not THE PERFECT PAIR, but the fact, that the signatures do really match, and that the two cymbals sound very good together gives me the good feeling
i know i have to keep watching the crack. I was thinking about drilling to that, but i thought that would decrease the value even more, hence i will probably leave it as it is,....