Old 12-07-2018, 01:19 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Any idea what these cymbals are?
Hi all,
Here's a pair of old marching cymbals I've just purchased. They're in the post as I write this. Hopefully they arrive soon.
In the meantime, to quote Def Leppard "All I've got is a photograph". I don't know anything more about these. Seller had them listed as Brass cymbals, but you know how people just call cymbals brass, so I'm optimistic about them. I think they could be B20 bronze.
It's probably difficult to tell from the photo, but if they're Bronze you owe me a steak dinner. OK, deal! I'll let you know as soon as they arrive, so cast your votes below. Brass or bronze?
Attached Thumbnails
Old 12-07-2018, 03:36 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Any idea what these cymbals are?
I say brass. Brass seems to tarnish way easier than Bronze, and those are pretty tarnished.

Plus, they look smooth (ie no lathing), and you very seldom see bronze cymbals with no lathing (custom and/or special models aside), whereas it is common with brass cymbals.

Last edited by vyacheslav; 12-07-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:07 PM
DrumBob

Brass. I'm almost 100% certain. Not to be a downer, but I wouldn't expect Zildjian quality.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:10 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
Brass. I'm almost 100% certain. Not to be a downer, but I wouldn't expect Zildjian quality.
Hey, I got these a while back. They're B20, probably Italian, not the best, but good quality bronze and not brass.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:58 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeo View Post
Hi all,
Here's a pair of old marching cymbals I've just purchased. They're in the post as I write this. Hopefully they arrive soon.
In the meantime, to quote Def Leppard "All I've got is a photograph". I don't know anything more about these. Seller had them listed as Brass cymbals, but you know how people just call cymbals brass, so I'm optimistic about them. I think they could be B20 bronze.
It's probably difficult to tell from the photo, but if they're Bronze you owe me a steak dinner. OK, deal! I'll let you know as soon as they arrive, so cast your votes below. Brass or bronze?
They sure look like brass. But even if they are B20 bronze, why did you buy them? What will you use them for?

Last edited by BosLover; 01-09-2019 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:33 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosLover View Post
They sure look like brass. But even if they are B20 bronze, why did you buy them? What will you use them for?
I bought them because they were cheap and because I love cymbals. I can easily get my cash back on them If I resell them. I had a feeling they were B20. Note the lack of edge dings seen on brass cymbals. They sound good as mini hats.

Last edited by Chromeo; 01-09-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:46 PM
zenstat

I didn't offer any identification of these when you first posted about them because
  • There wasn't any useful identification information I could see in the poor quality photo
  • I'm a statistician so I don't gamble (even on steak dinners)
  • I know of the evidence that people cannot accurately identify the alloy cymbals are made from in poor quality photos taken under unstandardized lighting conditions

But now that you have them, if you take higher quality photos of them from the top and bottom, measure the exact diameter, and give us the weights I might be able to give you some info from my work distinguishing Italian made vs say Chinese. But no promises because there are still a lot of unknowns in establishing region of origin.

Last edited by zenstat; 01-09-2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-09-2019, 02:58 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstat View Post
I didn't offer any identification of these when you first posted about them because
  • There wasn't any useful identification information I could see in the poor quality photo
  • I'm a statistician so I don't gamble (even on steak dinners)
  • I know of the evidence that people cannot accurately identify the alloy cymbals are made from in poor quality photos taken under unstandardized lighting conditions

But now that you have them, if you take higher quality photos of them from the top and bottom, measure the exact diameter, and give us the weights I might be able to give you some info from my work distinguishing Italian made vs say Chinese. But no promises because there are still a lot of unknowns in establishing region of origin.
It's about time you chimed in, Zenstats. I will of course upload more info. I believe they're Italian just because I've had a few UFIP with pyramid stamp and these feel just like them. Maybe they cheaped out a bit on these, but they're similar cast B20 with similar lathing. I think they didn't bother giving them the full treatment. They're like UFIP seconds or something. The straps were real leather too, so they're kind of good quality. Cheers.