Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-13-2017, 03:50 PM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 413
Default Can anyone identify this drum kit or lugs?

Not sure what this is...mostly like an entry level kit but the lug looks familiar but I can't figure out where I have seen it before or what brand it is. Sorry the pics are sideways The only possible match I have found is Trak drums.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3481.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	113090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3480.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	113091  

Last edited by ardrummer; 10-13-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-13-2017, 04:24 PM
K.O. K.O. is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,352
Default Re: Can anyone identify this drum kit or lugs?

metal hoops and six lugs on the bass drum coupled with Pearl style mounts on a non-Pearl set = most likely a cheaper "stencil" type set. Might not be bad as a starter or beater set if they are especially cheap but nothing to get overly excited about.

That's what I'm seeing anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-13-2017, 04:35 PM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 413
Default Re: Can anyone identify this drum kit or lugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O. View Post
metal hoops and six lugs on the bass drum coupled with Pearl style mounts on a non-Pearl set = most likely a cheaper "stencil" type set. Might not be bad as a starter or beater set if they are especially cheap but nothing to get overly excited about.

That's what I'm seeing anyway.
Kinda what I was thinking...the lugs are kinda unique is the only thing that is intriguing. Here is a pic of the interior...any idea on what kind of wood?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3482.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	113092  

Last edited by ardrummer; 10-13-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Drummerjohn333 Drummerjohn333 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,375
Default Re: Can anyone identify this drum kit or lugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardrummer View Post
Kinda what I was thinking...the lugs are kinda unique is the only thing that is intriguing. Here is a pic of the interior...any idea on what kind of wood?
WARNING: PURE OPINION HERE

No, I am not going ALL THE WAY with this......but the point I want to make is that the wood specie does not matter nearly as much as most think. Do I like to speculate/discuss/share when selling.....yes, as it IS significant. But from an owner's and player's perspective, specie does not matter as much as it used to.

WHY? My theory is that advanced technology in drumheads, knowledge of edges and their significance, tuning knowledge - those are the biggest factors. I have seen cheap entry level sound great....because the edges were good, good quality heads, and the tuning was done well. Meanwhile, if those factors are not good on a top of the line (vintage or modern) it will sound terrible.

Nowadays I care more about the integrity of the shell, whether it is OOR or not, and the condition of the wrap and hardware. Is it too pitted? Are there any cracks in the wrap?

So - if it is a good deal and you like the way it looks - grab it and play the heck out of it....no matter what wood it is. There is much testimony on these forums of poplar, luan, even basswood drums sounding great....by well-respected members.
__________________
I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-14-2017, 01:08 PM
OddBall OddBall is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 5,172
Default Re: Can anyone identify this drum kit or lugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerjohn333 View Post
WARNING: PURE OPINION HERE

No, I am not going ALL THE WAY with this......but the point I want to make is that the wood specie does not matter nearly as much as most think. Do I like to speculate/discuss/share when selling.....yes, as it IS significant. But from an owner's and player's perspective, specie does not matter as much as it used to.

WHY? My theory is that advanced technology in drumheads, knowledge of edges and their significance, tuning knowledge - those are the biggest factors. I have seen cheap entry level sound great....because the edges were good, good quality heads, and the tuning was done well. Meanwhile, if those factors are not good on a top of the line (vintage or modern) it will sound terrible.

Nowadays I care more about the integrity of the shell, whether it is OOR or not, and the condition of the wrap and hardware. Is it too pitted? Are there any cracks in the wrap?

So - if it is a good deal and you like the way it looks - grab it and play the heck out of it....no matter what wood it is. There is much testimony on these forums of poplar, luan, even basswood drums sounding great....by well-respected members.

Wood does matter,....just ask her !
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-15-2017, 08:15 AM
teverson-sr teverson-sr is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,071
Default Re: Can anyone identify this drum kit or lugs?

I am a huge fan of 5-lug floor toms....NOT.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-15-2017, 11:20 AM
funkypoodle funkypoodle is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Quebec Canada
Posts: 1,176
Default Re: Can anyone identify this drum kit or lugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teverson-sr View Post
I am a huge fan of 5-lug floor toms....NOT.
I've had both a 5 & 7 lug FT, both the weirdest things to tune. I never really got the Gretsch 5 lug tom thing either for that matter.
__________________
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
Pearl 4214 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Ludwig Standard S-102
PJL WMP maple snare
Dixon brass Piccolo snare

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2017, 09:59 AM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 413
Default Re: Can anyone identify this drum kit or lugs?

I passed on the drums...thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign