Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 10-14-2017, 01:16 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Got A Psychedelic Red Ludwig set yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O. View Post
Heads like this did not exist as an available product at that time. I don't really know that much about Bonham's equipment (well I know a fair amount but it's not something I've investigated deeply) so I don't know about the heads you're talking about but if he had an inner muffling ring on his reso head it most likely would have been something that he or his drum tech cooked up on their own.

Finally had a chance to pound on these a bit and they sound really good. Had to do a bit of tweaking (factory tension rods on the 12" batter side were too long and ran out of threads before I had as much tension on the head as I wanted so I had to substitute some shorter ones...vintage Ludwig ones of course). Other than that these are very nice. I'm sure to be using them for a gig soon...

I agree as a regular factory option on the heads. He detailed his reso and sound guys can sometimes get creative. The fact the model of head didn`t exist, in a non factor.

That`s what is going on inside Bonham`s stage gear head.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 10-15-2017, 08:41 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Got A Psychedelic Red Ludwig set yesterday

Late to the party, as usual. Those look fantastic! Really cool that you stayed on these for so long & it finally paid off. You had some money, he had some drums. Now he has some money & you have some drums. One day, you'll have some money again & someone else will have some drums. It's how the world goes 'round......marko