Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 10-16-2017, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Shell I.D.?? George Way?

I've seen LA camco, I wouldn't say it is any match there. And I am trying to find Eames, But no real good pictures there... Hmmm. And not sure on the Original DW.. I'm open to more ideas. Maybe it's a one off, Super Rare Shell. lol

Thanks For the ideas guys...
Old 10-17-2017, 05:08 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

It's kinda weird to me that the grain is running vertically. It leads me to believe the shell is foreign. But I can't be sure. It's not an Eames on second look. Most Eames shells I know of don't have reinforcement rings on the shells...Hmmm....

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 10-17-2017, 08:09 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

DW has produced many modern cross grain shells over the years. A vertical maple grain wouldn't be unusual. That plus the fact that it's drilled for turret lugs would make it (most likely) a DW shell. Question... do DW and PDP lugs have the same attachment screw distance? Could be a PDP shell... DW's poor cousin.

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Old 10-17-2017, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdie Shuffle View Post
DW has produced many modern cross grain shells over the years. A vertical maple grain wouldn't be unusual. That plus the fact that it's drilled for turret lugs would make it (most likely) a DW shell. Question... do DW and PDP lugs have the same attachment screw distance? Could be a PDP shell... DW's poor cousin.

John
PDP holes are very close but too large and show around the standard turret lug. I do have those shells for comparison.. lol... This one really looks like it was drilled for turret lugs.. hmm... Maybe it was actually a custom build to match a kit, Might never know.

Thanks, Ryan
Old 10-19-2017, 01:19 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Maybe it was actually a custom build to match a kit,

When all other possibilities are exhausted what ever is left must be it. Custom shell is as good a guess as any. A lot of experienced eyes have been all over that thing and nobody can I.D. it. I would go with custom before it being some weird DW shell.

Thanks for the response. I learn something new almost every time I hang out here.

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Old 10-19-2017, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdie Shuffle View Post
Maybe it was actually a custom build to match a kit,

When all other possibilities are exhausted what ever is left must be it. Custom shell is as good a guess as any. A lot of experienced eyes have been all over that thing and nobody can I.D. it. I would go with custom before it being some weird DW shell.

Thanks for the response. I learn something new almost every time I hang out here.

John
It's an odd thought to think that there were people duplicating drums very long ago. The drum shows age, but that's about it.. lol.. Nice enough shell, just not really a good match to anything I've seen, and I'm no slouch. Maybe someone will see the shell yet and make that final comparison. Until then, back to the shelf with it... I can't bring myself to cut it up for a project yet... Too nice. lol

Thanks for your input,
Ryan

Tags
camco , george