Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 09-14-2020, 06:43 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Slingerland snare drum on eBay!

Hi all!

I love surfing eBay for wonderful vintage US-made snare drums and sets. This one caught my eye, so I thought I'd check it out... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-SLINGE...gAAOSwMrxfVuKk

I immediately could tell that this is the Hollywood Ace snare drum. I noted that the seller says it is a "solid maple shell". While it's POSSIBLE that Slingerland drilled one of their single-ply shells for a Hollywood Ace, it's probably highly unlikely. I sent a very polite message to the seller, asking if he could remove the top head and take a picture looking down on the bearing edge. I received a prompt reply from the seller, saying that he has no drum key and not able to take off the heads.

He went on to say that he was basing the "solid maple shell" on information from the previous owner. The seller provided me with a picture, attempting to show the outer edge, which really isn't possible with the heads on!

I have plenty of Slingerland 3-ply shell drums, with clear lacquer interiors, that can APPEAR to be single-ply shells because you can't see the shell configuration with the heads on.

So, is it possible that Slingerland produced a single-ply shell in the Hollywood Ace configuration or is this simply a standard 3-ply shell? What's even more odd is the current price...$326 after 36 bids! Do that many bidders know more than I do? Inquiring minds want to know!

-Mark
Old 09-14-2020, 07:57 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Slingerland snare drum on eBay!

Mark, you're almost certainly correct that this is a 3-ply shell. Per Dr. CJ Wenk there were very few solid shells after early '65 and solid shells should not have date stamps. This one has a JUN '65 date stamp as well as a P stamp. A solid shell should have neither. Serial number fits with date stamp. A fairly unmolested original drum but likely not a solid shell. Good eye.

Last edited by slingerfan; 09-14-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:01 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Now $336.00 plus $50.00 shipping someone may end up unhappy!

Last edited by slingerfan; 09-14-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:54 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerfan View Post
Now $336.00 plus $50.00 shipping someone may end up unhappy!
Hi slingerfan! I completely forgot that the solid shell snares had no dates or P stamps! I just looked inside my solid shell, pre-serial, Niles Artist snare drum and it is as you mentioned.

I honestly don't understand why bidding is so high for this snare drum! I've got a Deluxe Student, WMP, serial number 59512, with a "P" and APR 65 stamped on the shell. Even has the original heads!

-Mark