Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-07-2019, 12:20 PM
wayne wayne is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,349
Default Zildjian ZXT Titanium hats

Not sure how old they are but don't seem to be made anymore?..I have a very nice pair that came with a basement rescue...are they decent and hold any value at all?...curious.
__________________
Hit like you mean it!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-07-2019, 02:02 PM
BosLover BosLover is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,212
Default Re: Zildjian ZXT Titanium hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
Not sure how old they are but don't seem to be made anymore?..I have a very nice pair that came with a basement rescue...are they decent and hold any value at all?...curious.
Not sure what they originally cost when still available new. One pair on Reverb, which is not known for low prices, was going for $79. Another pair there had an asking price of $115. The photos of both pairs, when viewed on my phone gave me the impression they were both near mint condition. So, while there may be a market for them, I'm guessing there is not a lot of value there.
__________________
Mark
BosLover

Last edited by BosLover; 06-07-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-08-2019, 12:03 AM
OddBall OddBall is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 6,169
Default Re: Zildjian ZXT Titanium hats

Titanium,...is probably the word that describes why they no make any more of them. It's tough material from buying to tooling all they way to selling it.
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-08-2019, 12:28 AM
BosLover BosLover is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,212
Default Re: Zildjian ZXT Titanium hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
Titanium,...is probably the word that describes why they no make any more of them. It's tough material from buying to tooling all they way to selling it.
They are not really made of titanium. That would be way too expensive and I'm guessing that actual titanium cymbals would sound even worse than these do. These are budget cymbals, after all.. I think they use some sort of powdered titanium based finish for the silvery look. The cymbals themselves, I believe, are made from Zildjian 's lower end B8 sheet bronze. The whole idea was to make the cymbals look flashy and different. It was a gimmick and it didn't last.
__________________
Mark
BosLover

Last edited by BosLover; 06-08-2019 at 12:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-09-2019, 01:56 PM
wayne wayne is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,349
Default Re: Zildjian ZXT Titanium hats

Well, I used the hats today and was quite pleased, especially not knowing what to expect. They are not dark by any means, in fact quite the opposite. Very bright and alive so I,d say they are a real find. They project very well just on their own without laying a stick on them. I,d put them beside Sabian B8 any time, and I also like those hats a lot
__________________
Hit like you mean it!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2019, 04:49 PM
BosLover BosLover is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,212
Default Re: Zildjian ZXT Titanium hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
Well, I used the hats today and was quite pleased, especially not knowing what to expect. They are not dark by any means, in fact quite the opposite. Very bright and alive so I,d say they are a real find. They project very well just on their own without laying a stick on them. I,d put them beside Sabian B8 any time, and I also like those hats a lot
They may work well for certain types of music, bit they lack the character, complex tonality, refinement and subtlety of better quality cymbals. They are cymbals that one either likes alot or absolutely hates, depending one's expectations. I've heard them, and I played them, and they are definitely not my cup of tea. Using Sabian B8 as a comparative may be appropriate, but the best I can say, based on my personal expectations, is that they are both extremely mediocre and best relegated to students and those on a very limited budget.
__________________
Mark
BosLover

Last edited by BosLover; 06-09-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-10-2019, 12:42 AM
wayne wayne is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,349
Default Re: Zildjian ZXT Titanium hats

I will agree for the most part, and I would never buy them for myself, but I personally don't put hats at the same level of importance as rides or crashes. As long as they sound ok I can accept that. I always use hats slightly open or just marking time, and if they can be heard over the band, that's fine with me. On the other hand, I could never justify 4-550 dollar hats. A good ride however is another topic.
__________________
Hit like you mean it!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-10-2019, 02:17 AM
BosLover BosLover is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,212
Default Re: Zildjian ZXT Titanium hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
I will agree for the most part, and I would never buy them for myself, but I personally don't put hats at the same level of importance as rides or crashes. As long as they sound ok I can accept that. I always use hats slightly open or just marking time, and if they can be heard over the band, that's fine with me. On the other hand, I could never justify 4-550 dollar hats. A good ride however is another topic.
Again, it really would depend on the context that you're using them in. For jazz, or for big band, the "right" sound for a pair of hats is very important to me. I don't play too much anymore, but my son gigs pretty regularly and has six different pairs of hats to choose from so he can get just the sound he wants far the particular ensemble, room, and style of music to be played. Three of them are vintage pairs that he got for an excellent price. However, his two pairs of 14" Bosphorus hats, and a pair of 15" Zildjian Keropes were all purchased new in the price range you mentioned. For him the right hats are just as important as the right rides. He plays mostly jazz, big band, musicals, some pop and some rock.
__________________
Mark
BosLover

Last edited by BosLover; 06-10-2019 at 02:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign