Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 08-10-2018, 07:11 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Why Do Ludwig Drums Sound So Good

The 64 super classic wmp I just sold , was phenomenal , I have not played a better kit must be luck of the draw with wood selection , rerings, bearing edges , skins, assembly , and cob hoops make huge difference
I will be hard pressed to find another one as nice ,
Gary
1967 obp holly wood

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825

Last edited by jaghog; 08-10-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

The first set of drums I ever played was a 3-ply black lacquer Ludwig maple kit. 'That sound' got stuck in my ears and now even 50+ years later it is the sound I use to compare all other drums to. The only other drums I have played (and currently own and play,) is a 58' George Way kit that just kills. Otherwise, vintage Ludwig drums (50's/60's) kick a$$ on just about everything else out there sound-wise. It's all personal taste in the end, but Ludwig is the best in my humble opinion.

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Old 08-10-2018, 06:20 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to vibes

Because they be good ! I have three Ludwig sets. 1958 Gold Sparkle trans badge, 64-68 Champagne Sparkle, 1980 Silver Sparkle 6 ply maple. The Gold and Champagne are similar in that great warm round singing tone. Just great. The Silver are great too, very resonant, but heavier drums. My first pro drums were Ludwig and these will be the last I part with. I also think Remo Ambassadors batter and resonant side help too.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:40 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

The classic Gretsch sound is more my bag, but I love Luddies a lot, too. You can’t really get that sound anywhere else, and it hits something deep in the soul, for sure!

Late 50s Black Nitron 3 Ply Gretsch 13/16/20 w/ Max Roach Snare
Old 08-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I'd take an old beat up Ludwig kit from the 60s over anything new and expensive today. They made musical history and are ingrained in every great song there was.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:33 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Exactly! There's a guy down the hall where I rehearse who just spent thousands on a shiney new dw. I told him I'd take my beat up silver sparkle Ludwig over his dw any day of the week.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:13 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
Exactly! There's a guy down the hall where I rehearse who just spent thousands on a shiney new dw. I told him I'd take my beat up silver sparkle Ludwig over his dw any day of the week.
Bingo give the man a cigar
1967 obp holly wood

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825
Old 08-15-2018, 10:31 PM

I bring my '68 Ludwigs to the gig and people say- 'How did you get that 'depth'? The total overall 'sound' is deeper and 'warmer' with a nuance you can't describe....
Old 08-16-2018, 09:07 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to vibes

Oh , and I have a 1964 5 1/2"x14" champagne sparkle Jazz Festival in excellent condition that I love !
Old 08-19-2018, 02:52 PM

My first set was a 1977 Ludwig. Since then I've had modern sets (that the ex made me get rid of) but I agree with this thread, the tone of my old Ludwig has never been matched by the Pearl, Yamaha or PDP sets.

But... I sent this weekend putting new heads on my 1971 Slingerland project and taking my time to tune then right. And I want to say that my vintage Slingerlands also have the "throaty warmth" that my Ludwig set had (and the modern sets don't.) And I know a local guy who deals in restoring vintage drums. He has Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretch, and they all sound good!

Maybe it's the thicker, three ply wood with mahogony, poplar and maple... maybe it's the hand sanding of the bearing edges... the single ply heads. Maybe it's the glue, or the way the wood has aged.

These old drums were made by hand, not by computer-aided presses, so maybe the small "flaws" in them give them a character (like the color and sparkle of a diamond comes from the impurities, not from the carbon.)

No matter what, I much prefer my Slingerland to anything made now. Of course I'll never gig with it. And should I ever get married again, well, the new wife has to understand that THIS set isn't leaving!

Previous sets (my ex-wife made me sell):
1977 Ludwig (my first, sparkle red, 10/12/13/14/16/double 20)
1990 Pearl Export (12/13/16/22)
1996 Yamaha Stage Custom (10/12/14/16/22)
2007 Yamaha Stage Custom birch (10/12/14/20)
20?? PDP CX (10/12/14/16/22)
20?? PDP FS birch (10/12/14/16/22)