Old 12-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Default Any hope of saving these hoops?
I just got my hands on an old marching snare (no badge, but looks like it could be Gretsch), and as you can see in the photo the hoops, particularly the bottom one, are warped and squashed from years of too much uneven tension.

Is there anything I can do? I would love to keep the original hoops with the drum, so I'm wondering if there's any way to at least bring them back to straight and flat. The divits from the claws don't bother me so much.

If you've got any ideas or experience, please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Old 12-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Any hope of saving these hoops?
DrumOgre,
Years ago, I remember my grandfather soaking different branches in boiling water to make a curve for a cane handle. I tried it successfully several years ago on an old wooden hoop myself. You need to soak the hoop (or at least the warped part) for several hours, then somehow, with the help of weights or a vice (whatever will work), attain the round and let it dry out. You may have to do it more than once but, you have nothing to lose if your hoops are that bad. Hope this might help.
Brian
Old 12-06-2016, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Brain has the right idea! I had a set of 20" hoops that were out of round and would not lay flat.
I built a plywood box with a top that hoop would fit in, drilled a hole to accept a hose that ran to a metal can also with a hole in it, filled the can with couple quarts of water and placed it on a hot plate.
before long water was boiling and my hoops were being steamed.
after an hour or so I removed the hoops, were very flexable.
I happened to have an old bass drum I used as a form, cut about a 4" piece off the end, I then split the 4" end and put a 3/4" spacer in the cut to open the form up little so the hoop would be tight.
placed the hot hoop over the shell end and clamped all the way around, let the hoop cool and good as new.
be sure to drill a steam hole in box to let pressure off, or you may blow up! good luck.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
Brain has the right idea! I had a set of 20" hoops that were out of round and would not lay flat.
I built a plywood box with a top that hoop would fit in, drilled a hole to accept a hose that ran to a metal can also with a hole in it, filled the can with couple quarts of water and placed it on a hot plate.
before long water was boiling and my hoops were being steamed.
after an hour or so I removed the hoops, were very flexable.
I happened to have an old bass drum I used as a form, cut about a 4" piece off the end, I then split the 4" end and put a 3/4" spacer in the cut to open the form up little so the hoop would be tight.
placed the hot hoop over the shell end and clamped all the way around, let the hoop cool and good as new.
be sure to drill a steam hole in box to let pressure off, or you may blow up! good luck.
Hey, burgundy!
Your idea is a lot more sophisticated than mine! With the great advice you have given, I'm sure those hoops can be put back in the round. I truly admire your sense of detail, burgundy! Amazing, sir!
Brian
Old 12-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not even going to attempt to build a steam box. I think I'll boil them in a big pot of water and let them soak for an hour or two, then use an old metal snare shell as a form, and some thin material (pieces of wrap or something to shim it up) then clamp it. What have I got to lose?
Old 12-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Those hoops are also pretty chopped up by the claws. I'd save all the fuss and just buy another set of hoops and call it a day.

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm

Tags
hoops , marching , snare , warped , wood