Old 04-06-2016, 04:33 PM

Default Roger's Londoner Questions
I'm relatively new to Roger's drums, and am constantly learning. There's a beautiful looking kit for sale in my area, looks to be a five-piece Roger's Londoner kit in a gold sparkle wrap (not sure exactly what wrap, not sure of the era) with Dayton Holiday shells. I know this finish is pretty rare, and it looks to be in excellent condition, so I'm wondering what I should be looking for to make sure it's all original (things like where the seems should be, and any other insider tips would be greatly appreciated, as well as what hardware would be correct inside and out).

Again, I would love some expert advice on that matter so I can make sure I'm getting the real deal, and of course to learn more about vintage Roger's overall. I've included pictures, and the asking price is $1,200. Please let me know if this seems legit and like a good buy, as well as any further questions to ask the seller/things to look for when inspecting the kit.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Old 04-06-2016, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Roger's Londoner Questions
From what I can see from your pictures everything looks correct. The serial number you posted makes that drum from 1968. The finish is "Gold Sparkle Pearl" and was available in 1968. Not sure it is really "rare", but it was one of the less popular finishes.

BASIC things to look for:
  1. the serial numbers on BD, FT, MT(s) should all be numerically close . . . but close is within 10,000 or so of each other (note: this is not always an "etched in stone" rule, but should probably be on this kit ... (I have a '68 kit with FT & MT(s) in the 110xxx range and the BD is 97xxx, so it is a 13,000 number difference)
  2. the snare should be numbered somewhere between 18xxx-21xxx
  3. the finish and seams should all be tight on the shell (Rogers had some of the best glue)
  4. seams should be under the tension casings (lugs) - the 12" seam is first casing to the left of tom mount, 13" is first casing to the right, 16" and snare the seam is under the lug directly to the right of the grommet and BD seams a directly above the leg mount (this is on a 20" which is what came with the Londoner 5).
  5. Make sure all the BD and FT legs are hexagonal shaped
  6. the mount collets should be machined and be marked PAT. PEND. and MADE IN U.S.A.
That is all I can think of right off the top of my head . . . from your pictures everything else looks correct . . . if I think of anything else I will post it or maybe someone will have something I missed . . . NAD
Old 04-06-2016, 07:26 PM

Thanks so much for the info, extremely clear and very useful!
Old 04-07-2016, 01:24 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Kudos to drums147 for that accurate description! Price looks great too given the inclusion of the matching snare. I wouldn't doddle to much on that one or you're likely to miss it.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:37 PM

If the snare is included, that's a grabber for sure....
Old 04-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC View Post
If the snare is included, that's a grabber for sure....
Agreed,
The snare is an easy $500++ on its own..!
The 20/16/13/12 is a great set up..

The Colletts look like the casting models (newer more proned to cracking)
And the 13" (Tom arm looks a lil odd).. Make sure they both match exactly....I guessing it's newer as well..!

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:10 PM

Thanks again for all the useful information. Sadly, it turns out the bearing edges on the snare were re-cut. Professionally though at a reputable shop in NY. And as for the tom arm, not sure I'm seeing what you might be seeing? But I'll be sure to inspect it.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Did you inquire regarding the originality of the wrap? Just wondering.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:35 PM

Yes. Claims to be all original. I have yet to see it in personal myself or inspect the seams, drill holes, etc.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boucher View Post
Kudos to drums147 for that accurate description! Price looks great too given the inclusion of the matching snare. I wouldn't doddle to much on that one or you're likely to miss it.
Yes, kudos indeed. Drums147, where have you been? Very nice synopsis. If that's not a rewrap (and there's no reason to believe it is from the photos), that's a very fine set for $1200. If I were in the market for a 5-pc, I'd jump on that.

Mike

Tags
dayton , holiday , londoner , rogers