Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > For Sale

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-02-2011, 11:24 PM
DaSwans DaSwans is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 103
Default Re: Vintage 60's slingerland kit for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosphorus92 View Post
who cares if the wrap might have been taken off? It doesn't affect the sound, just makes it look nicer
But not authentic. Not period correct. and bottom line: Not collector quality. Not collector quality means, not worth a lot.

My advice: If they're as great as you say, then keep them until you die and play them everyday. If you bought them for an investment, you should have bought and all original kit...

of Gretsch.

I love Slingerlands as much (if not more) than anybody on this forum. But those drums appear to have a suspect lineage. They may sound dark, woody, and warm like the best Slingys. But they don't have a pedegree. I'm sticking to $850 tops. However, I personally wouldn't go that high. No harm asking $3500-$4500. Just don't get your hopes up.

I also collect records. A $500 Beatles album is worthless without the cover. Cut the price in half if someone wrote their name across the label. Spindle trails or signs of use? Subtract $150. It's still a servicable record. But it's been defaced and collectors don't want it. It doesn't take much to bring a $500 record down to $10. That's why there are $500 copies - because most people don't have them. They're exceptionally rare. If you have to keep saying, "But..." this, and "but..." that to justify the asking price, you're too high. Drums are no different. The seller doesn't set the price. The market does.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-03-2011, 12:11 AM
kevins kevins is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina, U.S.A.
Posts: 6,225
Default Re: Vintage 60's slingerland kit for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosphorus92 View Post
No, its just that I myself think a kit like this is worth a lot of money, and would pay for another one like it if I had the money. But I seem to be different to the fray, so I'll be in the minority with these things. Like imo I see some horrible sparkle kits go for a high price, and some beautiful natural ones go from really cheap. Just my opinion I guess.
I really wish my 10 year old car was worth a lot of money.
But it isn't
Just as you wish your drums were worth a lot of money.
But they just aren't.
That's just the way it is.

I think DaSwans may have the best suggestion for you in keeping the drums, and playing them.
Look at it like a rental.... at $500 a year, you will have gotten your BIN price in only 9 years.
Every year after that is FREE !!
And you still have the drums !!
Win-Win
Peace
Kev
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Agopsalott Agopsalott is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 323
Send a message via AIM to Agopsalott
Default Re: Vintage 60's slingerland kit for sale

Was there in fact a wrap that was removed on this kit, or are we just talking hypothetically?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 AM
deadhead deadhead is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 719
Default Re: Vintage 60's slingerland kit for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agopsalott View Post
Was there in fact a wrap that was removed on this kit, or are we just talking hypothetically?
Its not hard to find out, are they stamped "P" or "M" on the interior?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-03-2011, 12:19 PM
bosphorus92 bosphorus92 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 24
Default Re: Vintage 60's slingerland kit for sale

I won't be able to check for certain for a week or two
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-03-2011, 04:45 PM
drawtheline55 drawtheline55 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 25
Default Re: Vintage 60's slingerland kit for sale

I agree with Daswans, I also have collected records, and have some pretty obscure ones, BUT to make them worth real money, it is all condition.

My take with drums is, you can ask whatever you want to, but don't be surprised if nobody buys them.
I feel there are basically 2 markets when it comes to drums

1) the collector market
2) the player market

If a set of drums is real nice, original and clean...the collector wants it and will pay prices accordingly.

If a set of drums is in okay to good shape and may have some original parts missing/replaced, and may be rewrapped etc, but is still all there...the player market will buy it AT WAY LESS than the collector grade...NOT a little behind collector grade prices.

I have seen people trying to sell a "player kit' a little behind collector grade prices.....they don't sell. basically because there is no market.
The collector doesnt want it, the player wont pay that much for it, hence no sale... just my opinion
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 AM
hawghunter hawghunter is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 707
Default Re: Vintage 60's slingerland kit for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzdrummin View Post
Man Da! Cut me in on some of those deals!
That goes for me also
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-05-2011, 01:04 PM
ec_curtis ec_curtis is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 1,792
Default Re: Vintage 60's slingerland kit for sale

If they sound really amazing I would maybe try and rent them out to people who are recording and need a great sounding set. Let them keep making you money as long as you own them!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-05-2011, 02:04 PM
bosphorus92 bosphorus92 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 24
Default Re: Vintage 60's slingerland kit for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_curtis View Post
If they sound really amazing I would maybe try and rent them out to people who are recording and need a great sounding set. Let them keep making you money as long as you own them!
yeah, problem is that I'm not living in an area with much need for recording sessions and such...not yet anyway
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 PM
jonnistix jonnistix is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Somewhere...over the rainb...not there, damn-it!
Posts: 4,715
Send a message via Yahoo to jonnistix
Default Re: Vintage 60's slingerland kit for sale

Bosphorus, you live in Scotland, is that correct? I saw earlier you had that on your page. If this is the case, you may be able to draw a bit more than we would give, but the facts are the facts. 100% original drums bring money, and big money if they are in exceptional condition. Slingerland, on the other hand, for whatever reason, do not command the prices Gretsch, Ludwig and even some Rogers kits.
Even though the kit you are offering is certainly a kit in desirable sizes, they are, none the less, altered beyond repair. Since the drums appear to have been wrapped at one time and then refinished, albeit to a nice finish, they will never bring that kind of money.
We are not trying to be contrary, we are trying to educate you as to what the market will value your kit, regardless of your attachment to them. We do not set market prices, we do, however through our experience in trading, buying and selling drums on a regular basis, know what the market will bear and what kits and brands will bring.
A Ludwig Jazzette, in good to exceptional condition, even though they are the same sizes as your drums, command a premium because of rarity, which makes them one of the most desirable kits out there. Even a kit in less that good condition, if complete and all original, will still bring above average bucks. The same kit in Gretsch may bring upwards of $12,000++, a Jazzette likely will bring $8,000-$10,000 and the Slingerland, in 100% mint original condition, same sizes, will probably bring less than half that, even in a rare and desirable wrap or natural finish.
Again, we don't set the market, we just study it and keep up with what is going on in the marketplace as this is a sideline for many of us, and thus we need to keep up with market trends. Some of the nations top vintage drum dealers are members of this forum. Maybe Bill will stop by and tell you from the dealers' standpoint what they are worth, both wholesale and retail, in their current state. We wish you no ill-will, just allow us to do what we do, educate people.
That is the ultimate goal of this site, education and preservation of information for future generations to be able to gain insight into the drums they have inherited from us when we go to "The Greatest Gig of our Lifetime"...
__________________
"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign