Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 03-01-2018, 08:19 PM

Question Leedy & Ludwig marching snare; SEEKING INFO!

Yep! I’m a newbie...... I just acquired a Leedy & Ludwig marching snare from the basement of my bands formative years. (How can they sell PARTY CENTRAL?!!!) Those sordid memories aside, I’m not sure what I’ve got. I don’t really know how to upload pics here yet, but all I could really post would be the badge, anyway. There’s nothing truly distinguishing about the drum in general. No serial #. The hand-stamp on the inside doesn’t seem to have been applied with the intent of being much more than a smudge. The only real identifier would be the badge......yellow/gold metal, shaped a bit like an upside-down teardrop, it’s got the vent-hole dead-center, top half black, bottom half gold, printed ”Leedy & Ludwig” above the vent, with “ELKHART” printed below to the left, and “IND. U.S.A.” to the right, then there’s 2 little side-by-side drums on the very bottom, the left one being outlined in black, the right one colored in, solid black.
ANY input would be grand!!! When I figure out how to include pics, I shall. Thanks to all, and I’m looking forward to finding and providing answers to life’s most elusive secrets........(What IS that drum?!)
Old 03-02-2018, 07:15 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Leedy & Ludwig marching snare; SEEKING INFO!

to the forum
If you post some pictures I am just about 99.999% positive one of us will be able to give you some specifics on the drum. You came to the right place.
Michael

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Old 03-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Leedy & Ludwig marching snare; SEEKING INFO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckage73 View Post
Yep! I’m a newbie...... I just acquired a Leedy & Ludwig marching snare from the basement of my bands formative years. (How can they sell PARTY CENTRAL?!!!) Those sordid memories aside, I’m not sure what I’ve got. I don’t really know how to upload pics here yet, but all I could really post would be the badge, anyway. There’s nothing truly distinguishing about the drum in general. No serial #. The hand-stamp on the inside doesn’t seem to have been applied with the intent of being much more than a smudge. The only real identifier would be the badge......yellow/gold metal, shaped a bit like an upside-down teardrop, it’s got the vent-hole dead-center, top half black, bottom half gold, printed ”Leedy & Ludwig” above the vent, with “ELKHART” printed below to the left, and “IND. U.S.A.” to the right, then there’s 2 little side-by-side drums on the very bottom, the left one being outlined in black, the right one colored in, solid black.
ANY input would be grand!!! When I figure out how to include pics, I shall. Thanks to all, and I’m looking forward to finding and providing answers to life’s most elusive secrets........(What IS that drum?!)
Hi! I posted some photos a few months ago of my L&L parade drum, but I can't figure out how to repost them...it's under the thread "Leedy & Ludwig parade drum". That one is circa 1952. It's a 10x14, but I couldn't find a catalog listing for that size in the sister website. There was one listed that looked just like it, but in 12x15 size.
Ken
Several snares
Old 03-02-2018, 03:34 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Cool Re: Leedy & Ludwig marching snare; SEEKING INFO!

Here`s a thread on posting pics:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=1713

Cheers
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1954 Rogers Classmate 4x13 snare
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare