Old 03-24-2017, 11:10 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Who made Crown drums?
I have a long term MIJ resto project (which I've posted previously) and have not been able to identify the brand - pennant-shaped glue residue from a badge I haven't been able to find anywhere. However, I came across an MIJ thread on DFO and one of the guys posted his Crown snare drum, which is very pretty. The badge on that snare drum has almost the same shape as the glue residue on my BD, and in the same position under the grommet.
Here's his snare and a close-up of where the badge used to be on my bass (sorry, pic is upside down, and I've labelled it Hoshino because that's what I thought it was at the time). What do you think, is it a match? It's pretty damn close, and the closest I've found so far.
So, if it is a Crown, can anyone tell me who made them? Was it Hoshino (either one) or Pearl?
Attached Thumbnails
Old 03-25-2017, 12:10 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Who made Crown drums?
You found my drum over at DFO! I post there from time-to-time, but nowhere near as much as here at VDF! This link should give you more info about Crown drums... http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=27259

Here's a picture of another Crown kit I have. A really cool 3pc. I've never found a matching floor tom!

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Old 03-25-2017, 05:06 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Kenwood
Most of the Crown drums I have found including the kit featured in the thread that Mark posted the link for,
were made by "Hoshino" (not associated with Star)

This point is a matter of contention still for many
some of us believe there were only two separate stencil builders Star and Pearl
And some of us are convinced that there were actually three distinct and separate factories
Those of us that believe in only two tend to credit Pearl for building kits that resemble these Crown drums in the attached link
While those of us that believe in three makers credit "Hoshino"
or what's come to be referred to in order to save confusion here on the boards as "non-Star Hoshino"

the confusion is due to Stars full name having "Hoshino in the title Hoshino gakki , I believe it is

While a third and unrelated factory simply used the name "Hoshino"

Now with all that said, the Crown name was first used by Star
those kits wore the black oval badge typical to most Star made kits
These kits for my experience at least, seem to be sort of rare to find

As with many kits that were initially produced by Star
once the company stopped making stencil kits and re-tooled to form Tama

non-Star Hoshino and Pearl continued to fulfill orders for those original Star labeled kits
by simply attaching often re-designed versions of the many names used on the Star made black oval badges onto their own obviously different product build -wise
With regard to these Crown drums, I know of at least four different versions of Crown badges being used
by at least two of the three possible builders

In short, same name, different badge, and a completely different build
The only badge that I have ever noticed staying virtually unchanged
throughout the whole timeline of these little kits being made regardless of the maker ..are the drums wearing Norma badges

No matter what builder made the kits the badges used were always the same ones...I THINK...
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Kenwood; 03-25-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:24 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
You found my drum over at DFO! I post there from time-to-time, but nowhere near as much as here at VDF! This link should give you more info about Crown drums... http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=27259

Here's a picture of another Crown kit I have. A really cool 3pc. I've never found a matching floor tom!

-Mark
Yeah, that's the one. I wasn't sure if you posted here as well, otherwise I would've credited you.
That's a lovely drum, and a great little kit too! I'm loving the wrap on it, kind of Blue Strata-esque.
Thanks for that link, very informative. Looking at the lugs and other hardware on mine, I'm starting to think it's not Crown. Longjohn said once it could've been a re-badged Jason, but I'd love to know what badge was on there! My gut tells me non-Star Hoshino. What do you guys reckon?
Thanks mate.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 03-25-2017, 11:33 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwood View Post
Most of the Crown drums I have found including the kit featured in the thread that Mark posted the link for,
were made by "Hoshino" (not associated with Star)

This point is a matter of contention still for many
some of us believe there were only two separate stencil builders Star and Pearl
And some of us are convinced that there were actually three distinct and separate factories
Those of us that believe in only two tend to credit Pearl for building kits that resemble these Crown drums in the attached link
While those of us that believe in three makers credit "Hoshino"
or what's come to be referred to in order to save confusion here on the boards as "non-Star Hoshino"

the confusion is due to Stars full name having "Hoshino in the title Hoshino gakki , I believe it is

While a third and unrelated factory simply used the name "Hoshino"

Now with all that said, the Crown name was first used by Star
those kits wore the black oval badge typical to most Star made kits
These kits for my experience at least, seem to be sort of rare to find

As with many kits that were initially produced by Star
once the company stopped making stencil kits and re-tooled to form Tama

non-Star Hoshino and Pearl continued to fulfill orders for those original Star labeled kits
by simply attaching often re-designed versions of the many names used on the Star made black oval badges onto their own obviously different product build -wise
With regard to these Crown drums, I know of at least four different versions of Crown badges being used
by at least two of the three possible builders

In short, same name, different badge, and a completely different build
The only badge that I have ever noticed staying virtually unchanged
throughout the whole timeline of these little kits being made regardless of the maker ..are the drums wearing Norma badges

No matter what builder made the kits the badges used were always the same ones...I THINK...
Fascinating! Thanks Kenwood, there's some great info there.
So Crown is more than likely non-Star Hoshino...
What do you make of my BD (posted above)? The lugs are the Slingy clone type, and the cymbal arm and rail mount tell me Star. But it seems the Japanese drum makers were a bit incestuous when it came to names and styles, so I'm a little at sea with the whole thing. I guess more research is in order, but it's good to know I can consult with the experts!
Old 03-26-2017, 12:36 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hello R.Adam McHugh,
Yes I would guess that bass drum is non-star Hoshino as well
and an earlier build at that
I was thinking maybe Pearl
but the cymbal arm bracket mounted on the drum
has two wing screws rather just one in the center
That is a non--star Hoshino feature
As was the case with all three maker's early on
non-star Hoshino drums did indeed use hardware (lugs in particular)
That looked like Slingerland they were very similar to, but not identical to the Slingerland knock-offs made at Star
while the Pearl versions (pictured) were pretty darned identical with the Star made lugs
One example would be these no-badge Hoshino drums in White Marine pearl (pictured)
I would also agree there was some overlap between the three makers with regard to the source for hardware as they went along, giving that incestuous element you mention
Later Pearl and non star Hoshino re-designed the lugs, both with still some hint to being slingerland inspired
while also appearing to be noticeably different from one another
Star for the time they remained active continued making both the Slingerland and Sonor clones (last two pics)
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Kenwood; 03-26-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:43 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks Kenwood. You are a hive of info!

When you say an earlier build, how early are we talking? '60-'65ish?

Yeah, the double wing screws on the cymbal mount seem to pop up as Star, but I didn't know all three companies did it at one stage.

Oh, those kits are really cool. I really like the wrap on the Pearl, but I notice on the WMP the tom mount is centre post arm, as opposed to rail mount. Is that original, or did someone swap it out some time in the past?
Old 04-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to jonnistix
Crown was a stencil. Mainly CB-700 before the name change using pearl parts and shells.
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Old 04-08-2017, 10:55 PM

Here is my set of Crowns from the early 60's (except the 8x12 tom, which replaced the original that went MIA). Both the 20x14 kick and 14x14 floor tom originally had the triangular Crown logo you showed on the snare in the first post. With help from the VDF experts, these have been dated to 1963.
Attached Thumbnails
'65 Rogers Holiday 20/12/16
Old 04-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hello gwn
Are the lugs on the replaced mounted tom the same style as the other drums?

Last edited by Kenwood; 04-23-2017 at 10:11 AM.