Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 06-25-2018, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Default 20in Big Stamp with 7 holes?

I just got this ride in a pile of otherwise unremarkable cymbals and I'd like to gauge a value on it.
From what I know (or think I know), the stamp dates it to late 50's early 60's, 1900 grams. The part that I'm unsure of is the rivet holes. Do they add or detract from the value? Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20 ride.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	119689   Click image for larger version

Name:	20 ride 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	119690  

Last edited by Mr.Toast; 06-25-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:48 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: 20in Big Stamp with 7 holes?

The holes do not look factory to me. One looks closer to the bell as to hold a chain.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 06-25-2018, 03:31 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

That's a mid 50s Large Stamp Hartrick Type I. The fact that you call it a "Big Stamp" and have "late 50s early 60s" tells me you haven't been looking at reliable sources for your identification.

ref: http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html#large

Expected prices for cymbals with a Large Stamp are: $200 with half selling for between $120 and $245 n=28

ref: http://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-prices.html#20

But note that if the weight is 1900g you might do a bit better than $200. If you follow the link above you can see that lower weight does get a small price advantage. Looking into the raw data, getting a price over $350 seems to be based on a fortuitous combination of seller reputation, excellent sound file, quality ad, and a lower than average weight for Large Stamp cymbals. Under 1800g seems to be the added value zone, but I don't have enough data to estimate threshhold effects yet.

The condition of that one may also hold the price down a bit. I can't judge that much from the one small photo, but it looks like there are at least two edge dings or "flea bites". I suspect we're not looking at a cymbal which will get the "excellent condition" price lift. The range I gave above doesn't take condition or weight into account so it is the best estimate if you don't know any other details. So far I'd stick with that range and an expected price of about $200. Of course you can always hold out for a higher price (say $250) and potentially take a lot longer to sell it. That's another tradeoff.

As far as the rivet holes go, having 7 is not as common as 6 or 8 and suggests (but doesn't prove 100%) the holes are post factory. I don't have any evidence that rivet holes (factory or post-factory) have an effect on expected price. It may be that rivet holes lower the price $10 to $15 but my data and statistical modelling can't pick up an effect that small given all the other source of variation due to condition, weight, quality of ad, quality of sound file, reputation of seller, and other factors you might think of like the season you sell it in and the state of the general economy. I acknowledge that some people hold beliefs that rivet holes lower expected price, but their beliefs have not been tested against the evidence as far as I know. I've written a bit about beliefs vs the price evidence in other contexts. See:

http://black.net.nz/old-k/old-k-prices.html#summary

Paiste 602/Sound Creation research click here
Which K Stamp? A DIY tool click here
Old K prices and weights click here
Avedis Zildjian gallery and timeline click here
Old A prices and weights click here

Last edited by zenstat; 06-25-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Zenstat drops the mic...as usual.

Thanks so much! You rock man.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:26 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Toast View Post
Zenstat drops the mic...as usual.

Thanks so much! You rock man.
Except it landed on his foot. Nobody wants the holes so it may take longer to sell. If you need one it will do because I hear no difference in one`s with holes and one`s without if they are same size/weight. The person with the trap kit or concert player are out there looking.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:31 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have six hole in a 15 heavy and answer the same three questions as follows

...They`re rivets.
...They add sizzle to the sound.
...Cuz I keep hitting them with the sticks.