Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 01-03-2019, 05:50 PM

Default My First project: Pearl President Set

Hi all! In researching my recent purchase of a drum set I found this forum so I thought I would post here with a couple of my remaining questions.
From other posts Im pretty sure this set is the fiberglass Pearl Presidents with red oyster (?) finish.

I need to find the two spur legs for the bass drum and figure out how to repair the hex tom bracket on the bass drum. Any advice?

It has 20 bass with 13 and 16 toms and the matching finished snare. The snare needs a bottom head and strainer, the toms and bass also need the second heads added back on. Any advice on this? Im not really a drummer and this set will be for others to jam on at my house and for my 6 y/o son when he is old enough for drum lessons. I like Western swing and vintage country the most. Im mostly a lap steel player of all things.

There also was a second MIJ snare that I plan to keep. A Leedy Multi Model snare and a sticky Ludwig Speed King that I plan to sell off also come with the deal.

Thanks for such a great forum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearl_1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	123177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearl_2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	123178  

Last edited by Tommyp; 01-03-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:45 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: My First project: Pearl President Set

Fantastic kit that is on my "bucket list"! If your bass drum has the straight legs I'd go to a hardware store and buy steel rods and cut them down to length. I wish I had the diameter measurement. I've done this before and you can find little black rubber caps made by Dixon (and others) to go on the end. You can snag the rims & tension rods you need to put bottom heads back on here: http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/

Wish I could help with the tom mount... I

PS: ain't nothin' wrong with being a lap steel player!!!
PJL WMP maple snare

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!

Last edited by funkypoodle; 01-03-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:10 PM

It does need the strait legs so thanks for the tip! I think about 9mm is the right size. I should have mentioned that it came with a big suitcase of stuff that included the removed rims and a lot of the bolts. I didn’t count them all up so some might be missing but not too many I would think. It has a cymbal mount for the bass drum as well.

Thanks for he lap steel love! Where else can you find affordable 1950’s Fender’s and 1930’s Gibson’s (compared to the regular electrics anyway)? I took drum lessons for a couple months once and learned some fundamentals, but pretty limited exposure to the actual equipment. I could just tell this set was better quality then the typical cheap drum-shaped toys a person runs across. I’ve always wanted a set so I think this will be worth the work.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:40 PM

Aftern reading more last night I think I was mistaken about the drums being fiberglass. I think they are phenolic instead. Please see the picture. Is that correct? Is that a good thing?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	393BC959-1407-4B96-85A4-3C77A05F4E79.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	123189  
Old 01-04-2019, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

I agree on the color. Red Oyster Pearl.

Bass spurs. 3/8" chromed rod from the hardware store will cost you about $6. They come in 3' lengths. Just cut one in half, clean up the ends, add the feet that funkypoodle recommended, and you are good to go.

Bass tom mount... I can't see what is wrong from your photo other than a missing tab and a screw. The whole thing is very hard to find. If your threads are good you can find the ones that mount to the tom on ebay from time to time. You can steal the tab and a screw from one of those. Don't rule out using a snare stand for your tom.

I can not see what is missing on your snare. President series throws are.... well, I've been keeping an eye open for parts for years now and ... nothing.

Those drums were made when Japan was using a different standard for fasteners. Screws will be metric, but will have a different pitch/ thread count. Keep your screws and be careful not to force anything.

Yes, they are phenolic not fiberglass.

Those are rare drums in a rare finish.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:01 PM

Here is a better picture of the single Tom mount. It’s in pretty bad shape, drilled out, tapped and split. It replacements are nearly impossible to find, would I be better off to install a non-original but functional one? The cymbal mount is already a Ludwig.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1AA470AF-8623-4086-AD9C-96CEB34BCE27.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	123302  
Old 01-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Those mounts suck. I would and do use a snare stand for my toms on the President kits I have. And my mounts are in decent shape. I would suggest NOT drilling or modifying that bass drum. Do a search on ebay and save the search, so you get notifications when something comes up. Don't just search 'President.' Those mounts came on other kits, too. Try 'hex mount' '60's pearl tom mount,' etc. Keep in mind that the 70's hex mounts are a different size. It took me 1 1/2 years to find a replacement. You could post in the wanted section here and on drumforum.org and get quicker results.

So my suggestion (for what that is worth) get a cheap, used snare stand and use that for now as you search for a replacement.

There are other options for mounting if you want to mount to a cymbal stand.

Don't drill, don't drill, don't drill.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:49 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hello,
Nice vintage set of Pearls you have.
These mounts are not that hard to fine, Pearl used these on many named of drums they made CB 700,Revelle ete.
But the mount you need has to come off a bass drum the tom ones are smaller in size.
if I can get to my parts I have many of these mounts.
I will try to get one out in the next few weeks..
Mikey777