Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 08-02-2010, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Ludwig Snare, what is it?

Newbe making my first post here. Been wanting to get confirmation on what have so I saw this post and it looks like I found some answers. This is my snare that I bought new from Drums LTD in Chicago on Walbash Ave back in 1985. Had this drum tucked away for years until recently decided to take a look and find out exactly what it is. Since I bought it new you'd think I would know what I had but at the time as a 20 year old kid I just grabed any chorme Ludwig snare I could find as a replacement for the one I had ripped off a few days earlier from a gig. I just wanted a chome snare to match my Ludwig stainless steal kit I was playing at that time.
Anyway I was having trouble figuring if this was a Supra 402 or Acrolite because of the ten bowtie lugs on it. If I were to ever sell it what do I call it?

Any help is appreciated

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ludwig Snare 11.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	18911

Name:	Ludwig Snare 15.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	18912

Name:	Ludwig Snare 14.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	18913
Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to jonnistix

Well, if it is a Ludaloy shell and has 10 lugs, regardless of the type of lug, it is a Supraphonic. If, on the other hand, the shell is COS, then it is a 10 lug Rocker, I believe....
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Old 08-02-2010, 09:14 PM

It has the round blue Ludaloy sticker inside the shell. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

Is it possible that it's one of those randomly made steel models? The chrome scrape photo looks like steel... Not light, like aluminium.

I am referring to the original post in this thread, by the way.

Last edited by Loopagator; 08-02-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Guys, to continue an over-year-long topic, I have just found a 5x14 supra with--you guessed it--acrolite lugs! Has the Ludalloy sticker inside, has a b/o badge in the 3,000,000 serial range, so this has to be an 80s drum. Obviously, with these three drums as examples, we're seeing that things were in a state of change in this late 70s early 80s era. I remember a phone conversation with a guy about Ludwig Keystone badges who claims to have knowledge that the Large Keystone badges with no serials had been used several years prior to the "official" '83 or so time when the chicago keystone badges were implemented full-force. I keep saying things aren't in stone and people, "experts" who feel that things are all cut and dried and neat around the corners get thrown for a loop. Anyway, it is definitely possible they had the Keystones prior to utilizing them en mass in the 80s. And the lack of serial number is a possible way of determining that drum may well have been badged with the later badge several years before they were commonly put on the drums.

As far as the acrolite or classic lugs being place on the supras, Maybe they had a few instances where they had not received a shipment of the imperial lugs and just went with the acro lugs. Both are the same internally anyway.

All three drums in this topic, the first one, with the keystone no serial, the second with the keystone and serial, and the drum I have with the b/o badge in the 3,000,000 range, would have been produced within a 7 year period or so of each other, so there is a twisted consistency here, I believe.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via ICQ to checker758

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Lugs View Post
That's a 1990's Monroe badge snare drum.
At a glance, that's what I thought too, but if you look closely at the badge, it says "Chicago" - no mention of Monroe.

From elsewhere on this fine site, a picture of the same badge, identifying it as a transitional badge used around the time of the Ludwig move from Chicago to Monroe - this badge is ID'd as from a 1985 snare:

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/imag...transition.jpg

Still, very curious. What's the deal with the Acrolite lugs? Maybe they were using up the last of the existing parts inventory in Chicago before the move, and some Supras ended up with Acrolite lugs just because that's what was available?

Scott
Old 08-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

checker,

Indeed, you are correct. I was wrong in my initial assessment. I continue to learn new stuff everyday, here, and I've been here a long time! lol!

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 08-20-2010, 05:09 PM

Pounder,
Just to clarify my drum has no serial on the Chicago badge either
Old 09-24-2015, 04:34 PM

Hi I'm having the same problem identifying my snare drum but mines is a 6.5. I bought it in the mid to late 70's and by the looks of it people tell me it's an 80's or 90's snare drum. I'd say they were right but I have dated pics of me playing it in the 70's.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	89774  
Old 09-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladrums View Post
Hi I'm having the same problem identifying my snare drum but mines is a 6.5. I bought it in the mid to late 70's and by the looks of it people tell me it's an 80's or 90's snare drum. I'd say they were right but I have dated pics of me playing it in the 70's.
That large keystone badge didn't come out until '84. That's interesting. What does it say on the bottom of the badge?

Mike