Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-17-2017, 03:49 PM
vargaso vargaso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA area
Posts: 3
Default Ludwig Acrolite 1st Generation/"Prototype" questions

Hi, first time posting here. I just lucked into a Ludwig Acrolite "Prototype." or 1st generation, however you call it. It has the orange peel finish, the baseball bat dampener with the red felt, the un-serialed Ludwig seal, the welded seam, the P-83 strainer, the aluminum hoops, the whole deal. It's in incredibly good condition, so good that I'm wondering if it's not all original. The heads and almost certainly the snares are newer.

Anyway, I've uploaded pictures, was wondering if there are any Ludwig connoisseurs on here that could help out with some info. It sounds fantastic, so whatever the case, I'm quite happy. I plan to swap out the aluminum hoops with some chrome ones so as not to bend them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170713_152022.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	111032   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170713_152028.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	111033   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170713_152037.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	111034   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170713_152129.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	111035  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170713_152140.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	111036  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Ludwig-dude Ludwig-dude is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salem, NH
Posts: 3,866
Default Re: Ludwig Acrolite 1st Generation/"Prototype" questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargaso View Post
Hi, first time posting here. I just lucked into a Ludwig Acrolite "Prototype." or 1st generation, however you call it. It has the orange peel finish, the baseball bat dampener with the red felt, the un-serialed Ludwig seal, the welded seam, the P-83 strainer, the aluminum hoops, the whole deal. It's in incredibly good condition, so good that I'm wondering if it's not all original. The heads and almost certainly the snares are newer.

Anyway, I've uploaded pictures, was wondering if there are any Ludwig connoisseurs on here that could help out with some info. It sounds fantastic, so whatever the case, I'm quite happy. I plan to swap out the aluminum hoops with some chrome ones so as not to bend them.
Ok...you said you wanted some info on it....what else do you need to know, as you seemed to have it covered pretty much already?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-17-2017, 05:38 PM
jaghog jaghog is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: chitown
Posts: 4,187
Default Re: Ludwig Acrolite 1st Generation/"Prototype" questions

Value on a good day 400 to 650
to the forum .....
__________________
1968 pink champagne Ludwig holly wood With 18 ft and downbeat snare, and jazz fest, supra
1961 cob super classic 400
some nice bronze pies
Sweet 1964 wmp super Classic with matching. Jazz




once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825

Last edited by jaghog; 07-17-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-17-2017, 05:54 PM
vargaso vargaso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA area
Posts: 3
Default Re: Ludwig Acrolite 1st Generation/"Prototype" questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig-dude View Post
Ok...you said you wanted some info on it....what else do you need to know, as you seemed to have it covered pretty much already?
I guess does it look like all original parts? Probably hard to determine without seeing it in person. The strainer has zero rust or even scratches on it, and that's the part that seems to get the most wear & tear on other 1st gen Acrolites I've seen online. I attached another pic of the snare butt, that also looks mint. Maybe I just got lucky? Thanks for your response.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170713_152115.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	111042  

Last edited by vargaso; 07-17-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Added pic
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-17-2017, 05:54 PM
vargaso vargaso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA area
Posts: 3
Default Re: Ludwig Acrolite 1st Generation/"Prototype" questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaghog View Post
Value on a good day 400 to 650
Thanks for your response!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-17-2017, 07:14 PM
OddBall OddBall is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 4,952
Default Re: Ludwig Acrolite 1st Generation/"Prototype" questions

An Acro with 6 lugs ??
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-17-2017, 07:22 PM
Ludwig-dude Ludwig-dude is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salem, NH
Posts: 3,866
Default Re: Ludwig Acrolite 1st Generation/"Prototype" questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
An Acro with 6 lugs ??
I count eight lugs....not sure what you're counting
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-17-2017, 07:23 PM
Ludwig-dude Ludwig-dude is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salem, NH
Posts: 3,866
Default Re: Ludwig Acrolite 1st Generation/"Prototype" questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargaso View Post
I guess does it look like all original parts? Probably hard to determine without seeing it in person. The strainer has zero rust or even scratches on it, and that's the part that seems to get the most wear & tear on other 1st gen Acrolites I've seen online. I attached another pic of the snare butt, that also looks mint. Maybe I just got lucky? Thanks for your response.
Everything looks legit to me. Parts seem original, except for the heads and snare wires of course.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 PM
mlayton mlayton is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,243
Default Re: Ludwig Acrolite 1st Generation/"Prototype" questions

I've owned a few of these and still have two. Yours looks very nice. You're up to speed on them it seems! I see a legit drum on your pics. They do sound nice. Like you mentioned, just tuck those aluminum hoops away if you're going to be playing it much. I put a pair of period correct chrome over brass hoops on one of mine.
__________________
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:07 PM
OddBall OddBall is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 4,952
Default Re: Ludwig Acrolite 1st Generation/"Prototype" questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig-dude View Post
I count eight lugs....not sure what you're counting
Pic. one looks six. Pic four counts 8. I only looked at pic. one.

OOOOOPS !i
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign