Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 07-13-2017, 02:42 PM

Red face Gretsch 4157 Silver/white wrap questions

I recently picked up a Gretsch model 4157 snare that appears to be white or silver satin wrap. First, does anyone know what year this was made? Saw one site that said it may be 1962???

Second, and most serious, the wrap is cracked in places and has some staining. I am thinking of either re-wrapping it or removing the wrap and staining the wood.

The hardware is great and I Don't want to ruin the drum, any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim
Old 07-13-2017, 03:02 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Gretsch 4157 Silver/white wrap questions

We'll need pictures and more information to answer your questions. Gretsch has used the same model numbers for decades in some cases so that doesn't really help. The Satin Flame type wraps were mostly prevalent in the mid/late 1960's and early 70's.

What type of badge is on the drum? Round would be from (roughly) 1969 and earlier and a stop sign shaped badge would be from 1970 or later.

Satin wraps tend to damage easily and it is very rare to find them in excellent condition. The majority will have cracking and crazing in the finish but usually look okay from a few feet away. Unless the wrap on the drum you have is completely "toast" you'd be better off to leave it alone as far as the value of the drum. Rewrapping or refinishing any vintage drum that is more or less presentable as is can only reduce its value. Usually quite significantly. You might consider selling the drum to someone who's looking for a snare in that wrap (there's bound to be someone who 's hunting for that matching snare out there) and using the money to buy something more to your liking than re-doing this drum.

People have had good luck cleaning these wraps with Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner and a toothbrush. That might get rid of the stains you mentioned.

Last edited by K.O.; 07-13-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:22 PM

Thanks. I have attached a pic. Click image for larger version

Name:	Snare 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	110973
Old 07-13-2017, 10:43 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjam64 View Post
Thanks. I have attached a pic. Attachment 110973
That's typical sort of condition for that type of wrap. It just doesn't wear that well but people who want drums in those finishes have to kind of expect those issues and generally still prefer the original to a rewrap. If you can get the stains off the wrap I'd leave the rest alone for the reasons I stated above. I know it's tempting to make it look nice and new but generally you will regret it later on if you grow to embrace the vintage hobby...or else when you decide to sell the drum and find out it's worth about half of what it might have been if left alone.

The round badge places it before (roughly) 1970. That wrap first pops up around 1965-66 so that's your window for the approximate age of the drum..1965-1969