Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 11-13-2018, 08:37 PM

Default Pearl B4514 Resto-Mod

Hey y'all. So, I wanted a new 'old-school' look for my old COB Pearl, which is one of my absolute favorite snares. I will go so far as to say that, to the ear, she rivals my 1960 COB Supra!

What do y'all think? I replaced the batter hoop with a newer Pearl Super Hoop. Snare side hoop is original. Replaced the factory lugs with brass plated tube lugs (still have the originals, though) The muffler was missing when I got this drum, and I don't miss it...

Turned out pretty good, I guess. She sure sounds sweet with an Ambassador CS Coated Batter!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181113_185843_Film3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	122428   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181113_185815_Film3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	122429  

Last edited by OldSchoolSC; 11-14-2018 at 07:21 PM. Reason: revision
Old 11-13-2018, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Pearl Jupiter Resto-Mod

Tube lugs are classy and this instrument is super clean - very nice!
Old 11-14-2018, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolSC View Post
Hey y'all. So, I wanted a new 'old-school' look for my old COB Pearl, which is one of my absolute favorite snares. I will go so far as to say that, to the ear, she rivals my 1960 COB Supra!

What do y'all think? I replaced the batter hoop with a newer Pearl Super Hoop. Snare side hoop is original. Replaced the factory lugs with brass plated tube lugs (still have the originals, though) The muffler was missing when I got this drum, and I don't miss it...

Turned out pretty good, I guess. She sure sounds sweet with an Ambassador CS Coated Batter!
Nice job on your "Resto-Mod"! .. but .. this is not a PEARL "Jupiter" model snare drum. Very common misconception on these! What you have here is the PEARL B4514 model snare drum. The B4514 and the "Jupiter" share the exact same shell/hardware .. except .. for the throw/butt. The B4514 has the Gladstone style throw .. which yours does of course .. whereas the "Jupiter" model features PEARL'S parallel throw system. Otherwise, they are identical! These are indeed nice playing/sounding drums for the price point. I have had THREE B4514's, and still have my 1979 model. Whenever I'm in a PEARL COB mood, I bring it out. Covers all styles very well! .. and .. I also set mine up back in the day like Stewart Copeland did his with a CAST batter and standard reso hoop. I'll attach a few pics ... and take note of the Gladstone style throw!

Tommyp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79Pearl_B4514_2a.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	122436   Click image for larger version

Name:	79Pearl_B4514_4a.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	122437  

Last edited by Tommyp; 11-14-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:06 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Tommy covered it. Your rehab looks great! Also my absolute favourite snare. It ends up with the most stand time in the long run, sounds fantastic under mics & won't break the bank.I've always played mine "stock", but I sure am tempted to try some cast or Superhoops on mine, but I also like how "unsuspecting" it is when it's in a bar between soundcheck and show. Most people see a metal shell with lines a think it's a Dixon or something. A trans-badge COB supra sitting there might be slightly more tempting for someone to walk off with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2173.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	122445  
PJL WMP maple snare

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!

Last edited by funkypoodle; 11-14-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:04 PM

Thank you Tommyp for the correction (I edited the title of my post...). I now remember reading way back when about the strainer differences the Jupiters adorn that you pointed out. In any case, I'm loving this old Pearl. So, is it 1970's? I admit that I am woefully underschooled in vintage Japanese stuff.

Thanks!

Last edited by OldSchoolSC; 11-14-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thank you Tommyp for the correction (I edited the title of my post...). I now remember reading way back when about the strainer differences the Jupiters adorn that you pointed out. In any case, I'm loving this old Pearl. So, is it 1970's? I admit that I am woefully underschooled in vintage Japanese stuff.

Thanks!
Hello!
Most certainly a 70's model .. but .. can you show a pic of the butt piece? There were two: The "sliding T" and the "thumbscrew" butt. The "T" style is earlier, but both are still from the 70's. The butt helps dial it in a little closer. The drum I kept has the "T" style butt, lower air grommet location, and OEM hoops. The drum I showed in your post I sold actually, but put the OEM batter hoop back on before doing so. The air vent on the lower portion of the panel on your drum also suggests an earlier model .. but .. there are exceptions to that rule! Curious to see what style butt yours has!

Tommyp
Old 11-14-2018, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Pearl B4514 Resto-Mod

The Jupiter strainer was not a very good design.

It was kind of a generic that folks from other companies used too(and they all pretty much sucked).

Consider yourself lucky you have the Gladstone.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:18 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I must have worn the grooves right down playing over this track as a kid. Pure obsession! That snare sound literally became the "voice inside my head" & eventually the voice inside my snare case. For blues/folk/americana stuff I tune it a bit "sloppier" & it's almost reminiscent of nickel/brass snares of the 20's/30's.
PJL WMP maple snare

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Old 11-15-2018, 06:14 PM

Here's the buttplate, Tommyp. I guess it's an earlier one? Thanks for everyone's input!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181115_180237_Film3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	122460  
Old 11-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Here's the buttplate, Tommyp. I guess it's an earlier one? Thanks for everyone's input!

Yes indeed! This model was offered for quite a while making it's debut around 1972, and staying in place through 1982. In that time the air vent location moved and the butt piece changed. The Gladstone throw stayed unchanged for the entire run though, although in 1982 PEARL offered the "Extended" Gladstone style strainer. The sliding "T" butt piece was actually the later of the two .. so .. the "Thumbscrew" style was 1st as it shows in the 1972 catalog. I have had both and prefer the "T" ... course I have to admit that when Stewart Copeland was playing this model, which he still has in his personal collection I might add, and still plays it! ... his has the vent in the lower position, the "T" butt piece, and the Gladstone style throw. I still have that EXACT drum, and it's in near mint condition. Looks like you have that same model ... course with the change over to tube lugs, but still ... same drum! I have to add that Stewart Copeland calls his "The snare". A NICE drum! ENJOY!

Tommyp

Last edited by Tommyp; 11-16-2018 at 10:30 AM.