Old 05-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default MIJ "Tower" with "error" rack tom
Greetings,

I've had these for a few years, but I recently made some mods and swapped out some parts , so I thought I would post these here. Sizes are 12"/14"/20" with a 14" snare.

Can you tell what the "error" is on the tom? Off day at the factory! I bet some of you are thinking "That crazy vyacheslav, he mounted the tom upside down"! Well, that would usually be par for the course, but in this particular instance, it's actually mounted correctly. You'll notice in Photo 2 that the tone control is on the top head. So either they put they badge on upside down, or they put the tone control on the wrong head at the factory. My guess is that they put the badge on upside down, because the location of the tone control is in line with other MIJ stuff (and USA stuff too). I could always take the badge off and flip it around, but I think it's cool that way. It's a good story! I like how the middle of it reads "3MO" upside down. Also, I've seen "Dixie" badges that are the exact same shape and fort style. I can't recall seeing two MIJ brands that use the exact same template for a badge before.

The kit was originally only Bass/Rack/Snare. I added the floor tom shortly after I bought it about 4 years ago. Musician's Friend had a Sound Percussion brand 14" x 14" on clearance for cheap, so I got that, stripped it down and filled all the existing holes (except the air vent). I had some Slingerland copy MIJ lugs laying around, so I used those, along with Ludwig leg brackets (I also swapped out the cymbal arm and tom brackets to Ludwig, because they have eye bolts (originals did not). The hole pattern was the same, no extra drilling)! Plus, I like the fact that all the brackets match. I had to use the official Ludwig spacers for the floor tom leg brackets. They look a little bulky, but do what they intend (Photo 5 shows a close up). I ordered "Gold Glitter" wrap from Precision and it came out great. The floor tom is just a tad less orange than the other drums, but it's darn close.

Other upgrades I made to the kit included wood bass drum hoops. They originally had chrome hoops with no inlay. My buddy (and fellow forum member nailfoxx) liked the "50's Diner" look. I didn't! The inlay is also new Gold Glitter wrap from Precision. Again, not perfect but pretty darn close. I also put 2.3 mm hoops on all the drums. I upgraded the awful strainer to a Ludwig P-85 and a Ludwig butt (butt fit perfectly, two additional small holes for the P-85). I had been using the rack tom without a suspension mount, but even tuned up high for jazz it just sounded choked, so I added a suspension mount. I'm still not sure how I feel about suspension mounts on vintage kits, but it doesn't look too bad here. I also modify the suspension mount, so it only fits over two lugs instead of four. It lets more of the shell and wrap show, and is less bulky and cumbersome. I also upgraded the L-arm to a DW 12.7 mm to 9.5 mm. They come in a pack of two, I had an extra one. As you can see in Photo 3 on the snare, the factory L-arm didn't offer much in terms of flexibility. I filled in the original bracket holes on the tom with wood filler. It's a reversible mod, if someone ever wanted to, just drill the holes again and it's good to go, plus I saved the original L-arm as well).

I generally don't dig rail mounts, and I'm even less fond off the rail mounts that are off center, but I was able to make this one work, even with the suspension mount pushing it a little further over. I'm rounding the kit out with Ludwig Standard flat base cymbal stands, a Ludwig 1123-1 Hi-Hat stand (best ever made!) and a Premier Olympic snare stand with a shortened vertical tube. The top basket section is a modern Dixon. The Yamaha strap drive pedal is a classic; I love it. Topping it off is an old school metal stick tray.

I just wanted to share these with you all. Hope you enjoy!

V
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by vyacheslav; 05-08-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:18 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: MIJ "Tower" with "error" rack tom
Great looking MIJ kit! Without even reading your text, the first thing I noticed was the upside down badge and figured you mounted to tom upside down...until I read the text! Is the badge just tacked on? How difficult would it be to remove it, turn it right-side up and then all will be good in the universe?!!

-Mark
Old 05-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Funny enough they did do the badge upside down. However, those badges with the nails typically didn't have any glue along with the nail so it should be an easy pop off and remount the right way.

- Jay
Old 05-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Cool Re: MIJ "Tower" with "error" rack tom
Cool looking badge!!

Cheers
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Old 05-08-2018, 06:42 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Nice little kit! I agree with you on the badge. After all, it's the things like that that make vintage drums so nice and generally make stuff really "ours," because unique.

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Old 05-09-2018, 12:20 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
Great looking MIJ kit! Without even reading your text, the first thing I noticed was the upside down badge and figured you mounted to tom upside down...until I read the text! Is the badge just tacked on? How difficult would it be to remove it, turn it right-side up and then all will be good in the universe?!!

-Mark
Thanks Mark!

The badge is just tacked on, but I think it's unique and cool that way. I was really into collecting baseball cards as a kid growing up in the 80's (I mean REALLY into it-- I still enjoy it today but I haven't bought any cards in years), and I always loved looking for the different error cards that would be produced from time to time (with the most famous example being the Bill Ripken "F*** Face" card). Having the badge upside down reminds me a lot of that. I've never seen a Tower branded MIJ kit before, and the fact that the badge is upside down makes it all the more special!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHxANGEL View Post
Funny enough they did do the badge upside down. However, those badges with the nails typically didn't have any glue along with the nail so it should be an easy pop off and remount the right way.

Thanks for the reply, AxA! See above

Last edited by vyacheslav; 05-09-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
Thanks Mark!

The badge is just tacked on, but I think it's unique and cool that way. I was really into collecting baseball cards as a kid growing up in the 80's (I mean REALLY into it-- I still enjoy it today but I haven't bought any cards in years), and I always loved looking for the different error cards that would be produced from time to time (with the most famous example being the Bill Ripken "F*** Face" card). Having the badge upside down reminds me a lot of that. I've never seen a Tower branded MIJ kit before, and the fact that the badge is upside down makes it all the more special!

Thanks for the reply, AxA! See above
Maybe you got out of baseball cards too soon...I have a friend that just quit a six figure job because he is making more opening baseball card packets on Youtube. I guess it works like this; he buys cards by the case for like $600-$800, then individuals can bid on and buy the rights to a particular team(s) cards within the box for like $100, then he schedules a time to open the packs in front of the camera live, so everyone who bought a team can watch to see which cards they get. The screen shows just his hands opening the cards and his voice doing some witty commentary...genius!