Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-12-2017, 05:13 PM
jeebee jeebee is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Belgium
Posts: 157
Default Super sensitive hoops???

Hey everyone.
It seems that my SS's reso hoop is out of round. I have trouble fitting a drumhead, and putting it on my drum. The shell of my drum is round, so no problem with that... So I will have to buy a new one.

I always thought that the super sensitive's hoops were totaly different from 'normal' supra's. But when I looked at my other snare drums (Monroe LM400 and LM402 both newly bought in a music shop), they had almost the same reso hoops. All three snare hoops have a little bow on the reso hoop gaps for extra space when the snare's drop.

Can someone please send me a picture because I'm really confused... Are they wrong right???

I don't know if the hoops that are on my drum are new one's or 70's one's. Is there a way to figure that out? Is there a difference?

Here are some pictures:
Pic1: Snare hoop from my Super Sensitive.
Pic2: Snare hoop LM400.
Pic3:Snare hoop LM402.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reso Hoop SS.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	111572

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reso Hoop LM400 .jpg
Views:	24
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	111573

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reso Hoop LM402.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	111574
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-13-2017, 11:13 AM
8upwithit 8upwithit is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 120
Default Re: Super sensitive hoops???

The hoops on my Monroe supra are like that, too. I think it's like that to give a little extra clearance for the snare wires when the snare head is cranked up really tight. I've seen drums where it's cranked up so tight that the hoop is almost flush with the bearing edge. To me, that's excessive, but to each his own.
With the SS, it's even more important, because the snare wires drop down further from the head when they're disengaged, so they need that extra space.
__________________
Yamaha RC antique sunburst
Ludwig '96 Super Classic (4 ply shells)
Yamaha stage custom
Several snares
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-13-2017, 11:26 AM
idrum4fun idrum4fun is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,571
Default Re: Super sensitive hoops???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8upwithit View Post
The hoops on my Monroe supra are like that, too. I think it's like that to give a little extra clearance for the snare wires when the snare head is cranked up really tight. I've seen drums where it's cranked up so tight that the hoop is almost flush with the bearing edge. To me, that's excessive, but to each his own.
With the SS, it's even more important, because the snare wires drop down further from the head when they're disengaged, so they need that extra space.
Just what 8upwithit said! The snare mechanism requires the extra space to lower the wires properly. Also, the Ludwig SS mechanism works best with a Ludwig head on the reso side, as the head has a lower collar and will still allow the snare wires to lower enough even when the head is cranked way too tight!

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-13-2017, 11:33 AM
Tommyp's Avatar
Tommyp Tommyp is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,137
Default Re: Super sensitive hoops???

I believe the "bow" is correct!, as here's a pic of my OEM 1982 Ludwig Hammered Bronze SuperSensitive .. ( Buddy Rich! ) .. note the slight "bow" to allow the wires room to drop...

Tommyp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82LudHBss_4a.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	111589  
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-13-2017, 12:58 PM
frantic freddie frantic freddie is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The land of Enchantment
Posts: 121
Default Re: Super sensitive hoops???

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
Just what 8upwithit said! The snare mechanism requires the extra space to lower the wires properly. Also, the Ludwig SS mechanism works best with a Ludwig head on the reso side, as the head has a lower collar and will still allow the snare wires to lower enough even when the head is cranked way too tight!

Mark
From what I understand, Ludwig no longer makes heads. My new Maple Classics came with import Remos.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-13-2017, 04:38 PM
idrum4fun idrum4fun is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,571
Default Re: Super sensitive hoops???

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantic freddie View Post
From what I understand, Ludwig no longer makes heads. My new Maple Classics came with import Remos.
Very interesting! My recent Maple Classic snare drum did come with Ludwig Weather Master heads. And, I was under the impression that Ludwig was only making heads for 14" snare drums, but everything else was Remo. Will have to check into this.

-Mark
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2017, 02:50 PM
8upwithit 8upwithit is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 120
Default Re: Super sensitive hoops???

I recently bought a new Ludwig Monroe-made snare drum. The heads were printed with ludwig logos, but they were Evans heads, G2 batter and Reso 300 snare-side. The factory markings on the hoops confirmed this.
__________________
Yamaha RC antique sunburst
Ludwig '96 Super Classic (4 ply shells)
Yamaha stage custom
Several snares
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign