Old 06-16-2018, 07:58 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default 1966 Slingerland "Modern Solo # 2R" Outfit w/ 6.5" x 14" 10 lug Radio King COB Snare
Greetings.

I break down each drum individually in the replies below with individual photos of each drum, but here is some information about the kit overall:
1966 Slingerland “Modern Solo 2R” outfit in Black Diamond Pearl with copper Script badges, 3-ply with chocolate milk interiors. Includes a matching copper script badge 6.5" x 14" Radio King 10 lug COB snare. The difference between this kit and the one in the 1967 catalog photo (couldn’t find a 66 catalog) is that this kit has 8” x 12” and 9” x 13” rack toms, (the catalog lists the two rack toms as 8” x 12”). Only one of the drums interiors is date stamped which is the floor tom. It reads "March 7, 1966".
Shells and wrap are in great shape. Seams are tight. No fading anywhere! No extra holes (except the snare strainer-more below). All original equipment, with the exception of the following:

-Key operated tension rods on the bass drum
-Batter side bass drum hoop and inlay
-Angle screw adjuster on tom mount (more on that below)
-Ludwig P-85 strainer on snare (more on that below)
-Various screws/nuts/washers that assemble mounts, brackets etc.

As stated above, I’m going to go through each drum one at a time. I’m happy to send full, hi-res pictures if anyone wants more photos. Just PM me with your email address, and I can send high res photos of the interiors, date stamp, whatever you want. I know this is pretty long winded, but hey, it’s us! I’m just being very thorough so you all have a very good idea about this kit. $1000 plus shipping-or I'm willing to meet....see below for more details.

Here are some pictures of the kit as a whole to start off:
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by vyacheslav; 07-12-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:59 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: 1966 Slingerland "Modern Solo # 2R" Outfit
14” x 20” Bass Drum:
Copper Script badge. Serial # 76572. As noted above, tension rods are not original. Also, as noted above, the batter side hoop and inlay also not original. Inlay strip is from Precision. Very close match. Wrap is a slightly different color on the bottom, where the small piece is. Not fading (because it’s on the bottom and it’s too perfect of a straight line to be fading), I just think the wrap may have been from a slightly different batch. Again, it’s at the bottom, so no biggie. A few scratches in the tom mount base. There is one (completely reversible) mod done to the vertical tom holder. I substituted a longer screw through the angle adjuster, so that the toms would stay level and not “sag” towards the outside of the drum. It works great, but you can always remove it and go back to a ¼” carriage screw and it’s back to factory. Finally, there is a (most likely) cigarette burn on the top, batter side of the drum. It burned all the way through the wrap and has charred the wood. My guess is, a former owner had one of those clamp on stick holders that looks like a spring and kept a lit cigarette in there while playing. To me, this is super cool and great mojo! What a story this kit could tell, if could only talk…………………..
Attached Thumbnails
Old 06-16-2018, 08:02 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

6.5” x 14” Radio King Ten Lug COB Snare:
Copper script badge that matches the rest of the kit, Serial # 105640. See the catalog photos below in the next "Reply". A previous owner replaced the Radio King strainer with a Ludwig P-85. You could always locate the proper strainer, and have just two small P-85 holes—the Radio King Strainer holes have been covered by screws and washers that are just tight enough and not too tight). By comparing this drum with the catalog photos, the thing that identifies it as a Radio King (and not a Krupa Sound King) is the strainer hole pattern. Also, a magnet does not stick to it, so it is a COB. It has a Ludwig P-43 butt, but no extra holes were drilled for it; it lined up with the existing holes. Factory internal tone control and factory stick saver hoops. Snare is in very good shape overall. A few scratches and dings here and there, but nothing major. It is my understanding that this snare is somewhat rare. Most snares from this era are Krupa Sound Kings and not Radio Kings, and you also don’t see many 6.5” deep, 10 lug models around either, Sound or Radio King.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by vyacheslav; 06-16-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:03 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

A few more snare pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Old 06-16-2018, 08:05 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

8” x 12” Rack Tom:
Copper script badge, Serial # 130334. Factory tone control, factory stick saver hoops, factory clip mount bracket. No issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 06-16-2018, 08:06 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

9” x 13” Rack Tom:
Copper script badge, Serial # 152834. Factory tone control, factory stick saver hoops, factory clip mount bracket. No issues. Based on the placement of the tone control, and the fact that the catalog shows two 8”’ x 12” toms, this may have been a special order. The wrap and interiors and all hardware match perfectly to the rest of the kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 06-16-2018, 08:07 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

16” x 16” Floor Tom
Copper script badge, Serial # 76166. Factory tone control, factory stick saver hoops, factory straight legs, factory leg brackets and t-screws. No issues.

Again, I’m happy to provide more photos. Just send me a PM with your email address, so I can send you hi res photos through email.

This kit is in great shape and has been well taken care of, and is just oozing with mojo, complete with a pretty rare, matching badge COB workhorse snare.

$1000 plus shipping. I am also willing to meet within a 100 mile radius of Cincinnati, which would include: Dayton, Columbus, Indianapolis, Louisville and Lexington, KY.

Thanks,
V
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by vyacheslav; 07-12-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:07 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Good looking kit. Are all the drum interiors chocolate milk stained? Bass and FT also? Which drum has the date stamp and what is it? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks, slingerfan!

The date stamp is inside the floor tom. It is March 7, 1966.

All of the drums have the chocolate milk interiors, but it's put on very lightly, you can see the wood grain through it on a few drums, especially the bass drum.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:41 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

BUMP for the weekend.