Old 09-30-2020, 06:38 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Hello......Is This Thing Working?
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
Thanks for the help the serial number is 135486.
I just ordered a Ludwig tone control that will fit the holes and the knob looks pretty much OK.
You may have to bend it slightly to get the Ludwig strainer to fit.
I've taken a few of them off Slingerland snares after finding a Rapid strainer to replace it with.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:05 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Lugs View Post
Ironic...This place has been provided free of charge for over 15 years...thousands of posts over that time. Thousands of questions asked/answered....thousands of pictures posted...videos...etc. And now, after all this time, some ingrate comes along and tries to cast blame on the owner for not caring...wow.

We are all in an extremely small and specialized segment of the musical instrument world and lots of knowledge has been given out to people already. Once questions have been answered and people have been educated, they often don't come back. The "regulars" remain...just in case...but the growing lack of interest in vintage drums isn't the owner's fault. It's just the way things have evolved.

What have you done to help the forum, Drumbob? How much money have you contributed to the site? Nothing? And yet, here you are, using this place to plug your book with every post.
I think that O-Lugs response hits the nail on the head! Yes, VDF has been around for quite some time now. I count myself as an early member. As noted, during all these years, an incredible amount of information, education and pictures have passed through our little slice of the vintage drum world. The only other forum I frequent is DFO. Yes, it's a more updated forum, covering other topics and instruments that you won't find on VDF. However, when it comes to the "vintage drum" section at DFO, I find it to be just like VDF. There are plenty of members who also frequent both sites!

I am bothered by the statement that our VDF owner doesn't care. If that were true, I would think he would just shut the site down!

Like just about every other website in existence, I'm sure there will be a time when VDF will cease. It's just inevitable. But, until that happens, I will do my best to contribute my knowledge when I can. I really enjoy our VDF family and a big "thank you" to those of you that have stayed around for so long!

-Mark
Old 09-30-2020, 11:30 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
Thanks for the help the serial number is 135486.
I just ordered a Ludwig tone control that will fit the holes and the knob looks pretty much OK.
That serial would be expected for ~'73-'74. Around this time the tone control changed from the large knob j-hook to the large solid knob tone control. Still collecting serial vs. tone control data but would lean toward the solid knob tone control for serial 135xxx.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:46 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Put me down as a big fan of VDF.

I find that the accuracy and reliability of the information on VDF is far superior to the Facebook groups, where every day seems to be a new day. On Facebook the same questions are answered by the same people every time, but not always correctly. This tends to perpetuate the legend and lore of vintage drums rather than disseminating accurate information.

I would much rather be able to do the research by searching prior threads and know whom I can trust will have the right answers.
I try to spend a little extra time composing my posts knowing that someone may rely on them some day in the future.
Ludwig Standards from 1968-73, and
Ludwigs with paper labels from 1971-72
www.GretschDrumDatingGuide.com
Old 09-30-2020, 12:51 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDrumDad View Post
Put me down as a big fan of VDF.

I find that the accuracy and reliability of the information on VDF is far superior to the Facebook groups, where every day seems to be a new day. On Facebook the same questions are answered by the same people every time, but not always correctly. This tends to perpetuate the legend and lore of vintage drums rather than disseminating accurate information.

I would much rather be able to do the research by searching prior threads and know whom I can trust will have the right answers.
I try to spend a little extra time composing my posts knowing that someone may rely on them some day in the future.
KCDrumDad!

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I don't do Facebook and have no desire to!

-Mark
Old 10-01-2020, 04:41 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I haven’t been here in awhile myself, and I almost hate to post in this thread, because this was the first drum forum I joined and the guys here were really helpful. But yeah, it’s just to dead here for me. I found myself answering my own threads in order for it not to fall away without an answer. The answers came slowly and one at a time. I’ve seen to many good threads die with only one or two responses. Other forums can get you 5, 6 or 7 PAGES of responses! It’s hard not to make a move when you can talk about drumming, and other topics, like that!

This forum needs some updating. That’s how you’ll get people to post here. It’s not the subject matter as much as it is an old site that is hard to post on. Right now I’m on my cell and it’s nearly impossible to post here on it. That’s ridiculous. If the site needs money to upgrade, than ask for people to step up and put in $10, or $50, they’ll do it. It’s not the subject, vintage drums, that’s the problem, it’s the old school archaic format that is the problem. If you can’t post full size, easy to access pictures and have a device friendly format, your doomed. I’m rarely on anything but my phone these days, but I just can’t deal with this old school format. I can hardly even read back what I just wrote! Lol!

This is all IMHO. Carry on gentleman!
Old 10-01-2020, 05:22 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Just posted this from my phone...🤗
Old 10-01-2020, 05:59 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

It may not be gangbusters busy around here, but just as an example...
For JimmySticks, and I'm not picking on you, but I found it gratifying to see that since your first post on 7-7-2019 you have:
Started 25 threads
There have been 464 replies on those threads
There have been over 40,000 views of those threads
And you have posted 602 replies on those threads and 225 others

I think what may be often missed or sadly, dismissed here, is the number of views of the threads that get started. Lots of folks, myself included, seldom post, but do enjoy, twice daily, coming to this forum to learn from others, and of course, view the eye candy.

So dude, you are a force around here. Thank you for starting 25 threads, and that your threads have been viewed 40,000 times. I'm certain that many people have benefited from your membership here.
Thanks!
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Old 10-01-2020, 08:02 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins View Post
For JimmySticks, and I'm not picking on you, but I found it gratifying to see that since your first post on 7-7-2019 you have:
Started 25 threads

I think what may be often missed or sadly, dismissed here, is the number of views of the threads that get started. Lots of folks, myself included, seldom post, but do enjoy, twice daily, coming to this forum to learn from others, and of course, view the eye candy.

So dude, you are a force around here. Thank you for starting 25 threads, and that your threads have been viewed 40,000 times. I'm certain that many people have benefited from your membership here.
Thanks!
Kevin
Kevin!

I appreciate your math with this! On the subject of cell phones, there are still many of us, myself included, that prefer to visit forums from a desktop, or laptop, computer with a large screen. I get it that the world is changing in regards to instant access from mobile devices...but I'm not one of them! I love my iPhone, but prefer to work from home on a powerful computer with a large monitor and full-size keyboard.

OK, my rant is over!

-Mark
Old 10-01-2020, 08:10 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins View Post
Started 25 threads

Thanks!
Kevin
Thanks Kevin, your thoughtful response is appreciated!

My numbers look good but I did a lot to keep my own threads going to be honest, and I guess that’s ok, but I don’t always want to do that. I’d like other people to pick up on it and move it along, but that didn’t always happen. As far as views, I take your point, that’s important and I didn’t look at that.

A more steady community would be good instead of guys popping in and out. I like to “meet” people in forums and meet up but there weren’t to many steadies here and it was always hit or miss. I wouldn’t see the “steadies” for more more than a week at a time sometimes.

But really, the site needs an upgrade. As I said it’s really difficult to post here from your device. Do that, and I think you’ll see a real surge of action again.

Thanks again Kevin.