Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 11-04-2019, 09:12 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Cross Sticking on Wooden Hoops

A few days ago, I installed some wooden hoops on my 70's Supra just to experiment a bit. Last night, I had a practice and got to try the hoops. I really liked the sound especially on a couple of tunes requiring cross sticking! Basically, the sound of wood on wood was very dynamic. I was wondering if anyone had tried this, especially on a Supra. Thanks.
Brian
Old 11-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Cross Sticking on Wooden Hoops

I found two player condition Ludwig Supraphonics at a local pawn shop and put Gibraltar wooden hoops on one of them. I made it into a rock snare and the only spare snare strands I had at the time were varnished gut from an old marching drum. It worked out great for pop and rock and probably would have worked fine for Sousa marches. I have entered into that "Tardis" situation where I need drum storage that is larger on the inside so I donated the two drums to a local drum studio for teaching. I think they are still going strong. Along with sounding great for cross sticking they were a ball for rim shots.