Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 01-14-2018, 06:17 PM

Default Another frankenstein kit - Tama Imperialstar 14"x6.5" snare included

A few days ago I came across an online sale of a "Yamaha drumkit and Tama snare". The photos had very poor quality but I recognized the snare. I contacted the seller and he sent me better pics later. I decided to buy the entire kit just for the snare. Anyway, it sold cheap.

The kit has black vinyl and the original wraps were removed. The bass drum is a 60s Yamaha and the toms seem to be Star or other MIJ 60's/70's drums. All this shells have modifications, extra holes, etc.
I was curious about the UFIP Kashian hihats. I try them and they sound quite good. Not brass, I think it is bronze.

I will sell the hardware, 8" and 10" toms. Don't know what to do with the bass drum and other toms. At least I can keep the lugs for spares.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	115703   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	115704   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	115705   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	115706  

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	115707  

Last edited by JohnBonham; 01-14-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Another frankenstein kit - Tama Imperialstar 14"x6.5" snare included

The pics he sent me later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-0632_800_600.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	115708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0633_800_600.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	115709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0635_800_600.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	115710  
Old 01-14-2018, 11:13 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Another frankenstein kit - Tama Imperialstar 14"x6.5" snare included

What is the that... the set list inked on the drum head? She looks pretty rough... but Yamaha and Tama it's not going to be junk.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
What is the that... the set list inked on the drum head? She looks pretty rough... but Yamaha and Tama it's not going to be junk.
Well, I think the Tama snare only misses the top die cast hoop and the original wires (btw, I think they are longer than the 14" standard). It has some rust but will cleanup nicely. The major damage is on the strainer butt plate, it's bent.

The Yamaha bass drum misses the original wrap (at least they could stick the vinyl over the wrap...), misses the front hoop/t-rods and has modifications in shell. I have another Yamaha bass drum from same era I will try to repair so this lugs and parts may be useful.

I think I will "throw away" the other drums and hardware. Already have too much junk laying arround
Old 01-15-2018, 09:30 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

You would be correct about the snare wires. Those models use extended 14" which Puresound still makes. Those thankfully are easier to find than the one's that were used on the King Beat model. That bar on the strainer and butt is where the cord / strap should go over. Great snare though, you won't be disappointed. I have two Imperialstar models and one in the Swingstar version ( 8 lug, basic strainer but same shell ) And they tend to be go to's for a lot of work.

- Jay
Old 01-15-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCHxANGEL View Post
You would be correct about the snare wires. Those models use extended 14" which Puresound still makes. Those thankfully are easier to find than the one's that were used on the King Beat model. That bar on the strainer and butt is where the cord / strap should go over. Great snare though, you won't be disappointed. I have two Imperialstar models and one in the Swingstar version ( 8 lug, basic strainer but same shell ) And they tend to be go to's for a lot of work.
I have other similar snares too:
14x5 swingstar red badge
14x6.5 swingstar black badge
14x5 star (pre tama). Brass shell with parallel strainer

Thanks for the tip about puresound wires. Will check it out
Old 03-03-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBonham View Post
Well, I think the Tama snare only misses the top die cast hoop and the original wires (btw, I think they are longer than the 14" standard). It has some rust but will cleanup nicely. The major damage is on the strainer butt plate, it's bent.

The Yamaha bass drum misses the original wrap (at least they could stick the vinyl over the wrap...), misses the front hoop/t-rods and has modifications in shell. I have another Yamaha bass drum from same era I will try to repair so this lugs and parts may be useful.

I think I will "throw away" the other drums and hardware. Already have too much junk laying arround
Ill take them if youre just going to toss them out
Old 03-05-2018, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

I have an event coming up and need a good photographer...could you find out if the guy is available?
Old 03-06-2018, 02:32 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Don't toss anything out. If you put an ad out for free drums they will be on you like flies on a horse. OR, donate it to a school for challenged kids. They love to bang around on drums...and it will make you feel good.