Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-19-2017, 10:10 PM
O-Lugs O-Lugs is online now
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,201
Default Ludwig Jazzettes

Okay, so I still have two red sparkle Jazzette kits -a 1967 and a 1969

Years ago, I wrote an article for Not So Modern Drummer Magazine about the Ludwig Jazzette kit. I learned a lot in my research and one of the things that kept standing out to me, was the fact that Bud Slingerland and Bill Ludwig had a healthy competitive rivalry that included acquiring the most popular drummers of the day, as endorsers.

Now, as the story goes, around 1965, Roy Haynes (who was one of THE names in the world of jazz drumming, at the time -and a Slingerland endorser), bought an Alpha Romeo sports car and, in order to fit his kit into that car, he modified his Slingerland 18 X 14 bass drum by changing out the resonant side wood hoop for an 18" tom tom hoop and replaced the T-rods, as well....in doing so, cut about 2" off the overall depth. He kept the batter side wood hoop so he could attach the pedal to it.

Sometime around 1965, Slingerland came up with the "Jet" kit -which utilized Roy's metal, tom tom rim bass drum idea and a special pedal attachment thingy to allow both ends of the bass drum to have the rims.

But sometime that year, Haynes jumped ship and began endorsing Ludwig...and, in that transition, the Ludwig Jazzette was born -as I contend, to fulfill Haynes' request for shallower bass drum. As we know, Ludwig just shortened the shell by 2" and kept the traditional wood hoop/T-rod aesthetic.

The 1967 catalog was the first to show the Jazzette kit as a sale item. But, I recently stumbled onto this rare video of Roy playing a (what appears to be) a Mahogany Jazzette kit in a 1966 concert in Europe. Check it out:



Interestingly. once Hayne left Slingerland, the Jet kit never became popular and was relegated to the "Oh well!" pile and subsequently discontinued (making them exceedingly rare, today, btw!)

Cheers!
__________________
"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-19-2017, 11:02 PM
mlayton mlayton is online now
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,977
Default Re: Ludwig Jazzettes

Great story. Thanks for sharing all that. Did the Jets kits only come with 18" bass drums? Highly possible to have a '66 Jazette since there was a gap in Ludwig's catalogs jumping from '64 to '67.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-19-2017, 11:33 PM
O-Lugs O-Lugs is online now
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,201
Default Re: Ludwig Jazzettes

Yep, the Jet kit was as specific as was the Jazzette when it came to the small bass drums...and I believe it was all due to the "fight" for the Haynes endorsement -trying to fulfill his wishes. I'm just speculating, but, there was a LOT of competition and oneupmanship between Slingerland and Ludwig in those days! And the Slingerland kit was modeled after Haynes' own modification -whereas Ludwig, by contrast, accommodated the specifications in a different manner by just making a shallower (18 X 12) shell. I know you know this already...I'm just stating it for educational purposes for the rest of the forum!
__________________
"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-19-2017, 11:36 PM
markrocks68 markrocks68 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sun Diego CA
Posts: 1,042
Default Re: Ludwig Jazzettes

That is cool. & thanks for posting this video!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-20-2017, 04:26 AM
Dan Boucher Dan Boucher is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,338
Default Re: Ludwig Jazzettes

They sound great except the Supra sounds a bit mushy compared to what you'd normally hear. His style has an intensity similar to Art Blakey's.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-20-2017, 10:08 AM
slingerfan slingerfan is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 684
Default Re: Ludwig Jazzettes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton View Post
Great story. Thanks for sharing all that. Did the Jets kits only come with 18" bass drums? Highly possible to have a '66 Jazette since there was a gap in Ludwig's catalogs jumping from '64 to '67.
The "Jet Outfit" was cataloged by Slingerland from '64-'71. Early kits had the 18" bass drum as standard with the 20" being an option. '67 and later kits used the 20" bass as standard. Chrome hoops for both sizes with a special clip on pedal.

Last edited by slingerfan; 07-20-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-20-2017, 10:11 AM
wflkurt wflkurt is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Concord NH
Posts: 647
Default Re: Ludwig Jazzettes

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Lugs View Post
Yep, the Jet kit was as specific as was the Jazzette when it came to the small bass drums...and I believe it was all due to the "fight" for the Haynes endorsement -trying to fulfill his wishes. I'm just speculating, but, there was a LOT of competition and oneupmanship between Slingerland and Ludwig in those days! And the Slingerland kit was modeled after Haynes' own modification -whereas Ludwig, by contrast, accommodated the specifications in a different manner by just making a shallower (18 X 12) shell. I know you know this already...I'm just stating it for educational purposes for the rest of the forum!
I remember your jazzette sets. Specifically that 1969 set. If I recall you got it from a member here who's wife found it at a yard sale! I love 1969 era Ludwig drums and this one is a real beauty! Is there still a pic of it on this site? I have a 1972-3ish jazzette in silver sparkle that I love. They are really cool drums to have. Great story.
__________________
"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-20-2017, 11:10 AM
orangemi orangemi is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,295
Default Re: Ludwig Jazzettes

Late 50's early 60's Gretsch "jazzette" endorser 12x18 BD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GRETSCH 12x18.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	111087  
__________________
Never play it the same way once.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-20-2017, 02:20 PM
DownTownFarmer DownTownFarmer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 1,935
Default Re: Ludwig Jazzettes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflkurt View Post
I remember your jazzette sets. Specifically that 1969 set. If I recall you got it from a member here who's wife found it at a yard sale! I love 1969 era Ludwig drums and this one is a real beauty! Is there still a pic of it on this site? I have a 1972-3ish jazzette in silver sparkle that I love. They are really cool drums to have. Great story.
Strangely, I find I have a great desire to see a picture of these silver sparkle jazzettes of which you speak.

Mitch
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-20-2017, 04:23 PM
mlayton mlayton is online now
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,977
Default Re: Ludwig Jazzettes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTownFarmer View Post
Strangely, I find I have a great desire to see a picture of these silver sparkle jazzettes of which you speak.

Mitch
+1. Yes!! Would love to see those.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign