Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 09-16-2015, 04:44 PM

Default What is decent budget vintage gear these days?

Hi folks!

As a fan of all things vintage, i hope you don't mind me asking your opinion.

I am a guitarist by trade but also a reasonable self taught drummer. In the guitar world, MIJ (made in japan) stuff is the best way to get something great at a reasonable cost. You can buy vintage les paul copies which are better than most of the new Gibson stuff for less than the price of an off the shelf replica these days.

So by the same token, I'd like to do the same thing with drums. Eventually, I will probably shell out and get a ludwig or something but for the moment I can't stretch quite that far.

I found this article recently:
http://www.tbrucewittet.com/2010/11/...pan-revisited/

Fabulous, exactly the sort of attitude i like, only thing is, I'm in the UK, and Coronet is not a brand that frequents the auction sites, so I'd like to ask, what, of the stuff available in this country, is reasonable? I notice there is a lot of british made stuff floating about like Premier, but I dont know what is good and what isnt, which is where you step in.

I'm looking to spend something around the 300 - 400 mark and i don't mind making a 'bitsa' kit (a mixture of brands, etc).

Kindest regards, thanks for reading!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:01 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: What is decent budget vintage gear these days?

One of the best values in vintage budget would be Rogers XP8 1979-84. Usually under 500 in decent condition, more for excellent, but ... usually, great buys on excellent drums.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:19 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Holly wood kits they are very reasonable especially early 3 ply maple kits

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:02 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

UK, you say? Well then.... Beverley, Hamma, Olympic, and of course Premier. I saw very nice sets on UK Ebay for in between 200 and 400 pound. Most birch thin shells, some mahogony shells.
I'm located in the netherlands and have had an olympic kit for 100 euro's. It sounded fabulous. Currently I have a Beverley set that sounds fabulous too (costed me only 100 euros and al ot of time to resore). I also have a kit from Premier orphans I customized, sounds great to (especially the bass drum, which is mahogony).

The chance of finding someone selling a UK kit and not knowing the worth (as I luckily did in all the above cases) is a bit higher in non-UK European country's, but you may find them in the UK as well.

good luck!
Old 09-17-2015, 02:46 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

If you can find a Stewart kit from the 60's then you're golden..
Out of all the MIJ kits out there, this brand stands out, as well as the Coronets you previously mentioned.. You'll know more about MIJ's in the Non USA section of the forum..I have a 20x14 kick drum that i use for pubs and it sounds superb.. You can find a pic of my "pub kit" in my profile.. You can usually find a vintage Stewart kit in almost mint condition for about $400-$500 and even less than that ! When tuned properly, with brand new good quality drum heads, some of these Stewarts can give their original counterparts (Slingerland) a run for their money.. Here is a fine example of a superb condition Stewart drum kit for $500 Cdn dollars, which for you, would be hovering around 245 British pounds. Good luck in your search..!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-drum-percussi...ationFlag=true
Old 09-17-2015, 02:52 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Well I'm UK too. We never got the Coronets or Stewarts but you might find one if you dig hard enough. But without a doubt you can eBay any of these below and get results almost immediately. Also check on "Rusty Drums" website.

Premiers are always good. Specially the late 60 early 70's era. 2000 series chrome Snare is incredible.

Hayman are very very good. Again a British brand. Really good Snares. My Snare always comes out on Recording sesh's. They had a lot of endorsee's back in the day. Simon Kirke who recorded Alright Now by Free was a Hayman endorsee back in the day.

Ajax is another one to look out for. Really good value for money. Again British. I have a mate who has one and it sounds sweet!

Beverly another British brand are fantastic. The previous touring Drummer with Florence and the machine used a Beverly kit. Sounded lovely. Another Beverly favourite is the Cosmic 21 snare. A bit like a Ludwig 400.

All these drums are as good as they're US counterparts and a third if not a quarter of the price.

One last option is an old 80's Tama Silverstar. Also good bang for your buck. Used to be Stewart Copelands weapon of choice back in the Police heyday.
60's Gretsch RB Champaigne Spark
70's Rogers Big R Black
90's Sonor Hilite (Red maple)
00's DW Collectors Broken Glass
00's DW Jazz Series Tangerine Glass
10's DW Collectors (Acrylic) Matt Black Wrap
10's PDP Concept Wood Hoop kit (Maple)
Proud ambassador of the British Drum Company

Last edited by geckobeats; 09-17-2015 at 03:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:55 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

If I was in UK I think I'd be focussed on some "native stuff"... Premier & Olympic badged drums are right up there in quality and collectability...

This appeals to me..
https://www.gumtree.com/p/drums/prem...e.-/1131724815

Rogers, Ludwig and Slingerland kits show up also at competitive prices..
Cheers
John
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:17 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

had an olymic just like in the gumtree add. sounded great!!!!
Old 09-17-2015, 02:46 PM

I'd like to thank you all massively for your replies! On most forums I frequent I tend to get the reply "why don't you just buy a new one" so this has been very helpful. I will no doubt let you know what I purchase, I'm all for a British brand so we'll see what happens....
Old 09-19-2015, 02:31 PM

As a follow up, what is good in the world of old cymbals? Ideally I'd just go out and buy some paiste 2002's but they're more than the kit costs!