Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 11-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Default Re: "Is my Ludwig Brass??"-Lets Clear this up

One of my favorite snares is an old haggard acne riddled Supraphonic with a missing badge. Sounds way better than my 60's COB Slingerland...
Old 11-17-2009, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

now thats the sound of a COB can of worms being opened...
Old 11-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretsch that stole xmas View Post
One of my favorite snares is an old haggard acne riddled Supraphonic with a missing badge. Sounds way better than my 60's COB Slingerland...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

JWG
now thats the sound of a COB can of worms being opened...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe 60's Slingerland COBs are different sounding than 70's, but I have two Supras from the 60's and two Sound Kings from the 70's, and I'd offer that they have distinctly different sounds from each other, but one is not better than the other.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah they sound quite alike. I have COB and alloy models. The COB drum's rimshot is much more penetrating, ear-piercing. I'm sure it's partly due to the COB rims.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:04 PM

Hello all was just woundering if you would be able to help me out with a few questions that i have.

i am looking at buying a Ludwig snare drum, and now i have narrowed my options down to a New 14x5 Black Beauty, and also a vintage 1960's Ludwig 402 14x6.5 classic lug.

my first question is how much should i expect to pay for the vintage 402 snare which is in good condition in english pounds please thanks?

also i was wondering if there are any differences in the sound between a vintage 402 and a new one because i was told that the hardware is now made in china and gives it a different sound ?

and finally what would you buy out of the two the new blackbeauty or the vintage 402 ? thanks a lot would really appreciate a response

Dan
Old 10-21-2010, 06:24 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerek View Post
Is my wood snare brass?

j/k

Nice job man!
Lol now thats funny. Maybe i should take my friends clear vistalite snare apart just to be sure it's not brass
Old 02-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandon View Post
Hello all was just woundering if you would be able to help me out with a few questions that i have.

i am looking at buying a Ludwig snare drum, and now i have narrowed my options down to a New 14x5 Black Beauty, and also a vintage 1960's Ludwig 402 14x6.5 classic lug.

my first question is how much should i expect to pay for the vintage 402 snare which is in good condition in english pounds please thanks?

also i was wondering if there are any differences in the sound between a vintage 402 and a new one because i was told that the hardware is now made in china and gives it a different sound ?

and finally what would you buy out of the two the new blackbeauty or the vintage 402 ? thanks a lot would really appreciate a response

Dan
Came across a brand new 402 COB in my local drum shop last month. Took it for a test drive on a practice kit there and was totally blown away by it. Beautiful Drum. I stopped short of buying it because of the price, but I may yet lay out the cash for it. Chinese's parts or not it's all in that unique age old shell design and it played amazing.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

can i do the magnet test on my wood snare and on my metal drum if i hit the sides with mallets will it sound like a gong show "wheres the hook"
Sweet 1964 wmp super Classic with matching. Jazz
1967 obp holly wood

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825
Old 02-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckobeats View Post
Came across a brand new 402 COB in my local drum shop last month. Took it for a test drive on a practice kit there and was totally blown away by it. Beautiful Drum. I stopped short of buying it because of the price, but I may yet lay out the cash for it. Chinese's parts or not it's all in that unique age old shell design and it played amazing.
Agree! I was in Sam Ash recently and the 402 placed 1st in my sound test, out of like 20 snares of all makes.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig-dude View Post
Who is Rush?
Few people realize that Rush Limbaugh was the original drummer with Tiny Tim. He ALWAYS used a brass plated plastic snare, possibly a Maestro hybrid. (Heavy drug use Led (sic) to his career change...)
larry