Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Back in the Day Stories!!!
From reading several posts and replies lately, it appears that several of our members have had first hand experiences with top musicians of days gone by. I've read that Mikey777 knew The Beach Boys and that Purdie actually drummed for The Lovin Spoonful! These stories are priceless! Please, guys, if you've had similar stories, share them. Your experiences are wonderful gems of simpler times. Thank you VERY much in advance!
Brian
P.S. I saw Ringo once. Naw, that doesn't count.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Back in the Day Stories!!!
I once played on the same stage that ELP played on, however, it was several years before.
Does that count?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty 1322 View Post
From reading several posts and replies lately, it appears that several of our members have had first hand experiences with top musicians of days gone by. I've read that Mikey777 knew The Beach Boys and that Purdie actually drummed for The Lovin Spoonful! These stories are priceless! Please, guys, if you've had similar stories, share them. Your experiences are wonderful gems of simpler times. Thank you VERY much in advance!
Brian
P.S. I saw Ringo once. Naw, that doesn't count.
I was in the same room as Ringo once..a REALLY BIG room..but none the less!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Now this will be a great thread, hope they dont delete it. I once jammed with Jude Cole. Whos Jude Cole? Ah,, I forgot. No, he was a gutair player for my buddies band who went on to record some records but must not have gotten too big. Anyone heard of him?
Did not know that "Purdie" played for The lovin spoonful.
Louis Bellson used to live right down the road from me, went to my high school. I know a guy who has his double bass Remo kit.

Thats it. Oh wait, I was in a big room with Ringo also.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 PM

I met Dave Grohl and he told me that he cracked a 28 inch ride cymbal. Im still amazed by that one. Chad Smith pushed my 1990 Astro van back and forth at an after hours club in Detroit while his lady friend did snow angels on my windshield. They didn't know me, it was random. That still cracks me up
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I've probably related this story here before, but here goes again...

Back in the early 60s our group decided we should "cut a record" so we booked time at Gold Star Recording Studio. Luck of the draw, Larry Levine was assigned to be our engineer. While we were recording Phil Spector walked into the control room and quickly began to "produce" our music. (Nothing ever happened with it, but we all cherish the recording.) As we were leaving the Supremes dropped by to say hi to Phil on the way to their appearance on Steve Allen so we were introduced to them. A few days later Phil called us to come in and back him up on a "demo" he was doing of a song he had written. Sonny Bono joined us on tambourine while Cher slept on the piano bench. As I recall Nino Tempo also joined us on the sax.

Sorry...long story, but great memories.

Last edited by GG Vintage; 03-07-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Spent 4 years in the 80's playing with David Nelson of NRPS. Needless to say we had some fun times...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecA5jHEKCak[/ame]
Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have told this story on another thread, but Aynsley Dunbar played my drums at a wedding reception gig in Santa Barbara in 2005 or 2006. He was a guest and the hosts insisted.

The set-up was that the drums were in their own room, which would have been a private dining area at the club. So I stayed in back and got an up-close view as he did his thing.

He was a gentleman: I offered him free reign to make adjustments and he didn't move a thing. He played the last three songs before a break and complimented my playing effusively before leaving (even though I wasn't doing much).
• 1977 Black Diamond Pearl + 5x14 SD (gold badge, Rapid strainer)
• 1976 Black Cordova
• 1975 Silver Sparkle + 5x14 SD (Rapid strainer)
• 1974 Chrome + 5x14 COB TDR and 6.5x14 COW Zoomatic SDs
• 1973 Purple Sparkle
• 1973 Phantom (clear)
• 1971 Walnut (gold badges) + 5x14 TDR SD
1x Rogers Powertone Londoner V 12-13-16-22
• 1972 Butcher Block + 1979 big R Dynasonic SD
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

When i was 16 years old I get a call from a band (full of adults) that was currently playing in the Houston, Tx area. I was told that they got my number from a friend of a friend and that they needed a drummer to play a few fill in shows with them and asked if I would come audition. I was all excited about it and I show up to set up..... and forgot my cymbals at home.

The guitar player in this band was Ray Tabano, who was one of the original guitarists for Aerosmith. He was childhood friends with Steven Tyler. I was also told that he is the guitarist that played on Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" in the studio when he was about 16 or 17 years old.

Anyhow, I didnt get the gig! got to play along using the rim of my snare for a few songs though....
Had I remembered my cymbals I'm pretty sure I would of got the gig. I refer to it as the "gig that got away."

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley
Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Drum teched for Glenn Milchim(Blue Rodeo) once. Borrowed some of my gear for a couple dates on the tour.
Remo/Evans

"unless it's vintage, it's just another wooden tube."