Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 08-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Default Rogers question: finishes & sizes

I recently obtained a Rogers Luxor in Blue strata, and totally fell in love with the finish. I'd never seen a strata or ripple in person before, and since getting the drum I'm seriously considering trying to peice together a kit in either a blue strata, pink strata, or any of the ripples.

I'm a fan of larger sized drums, and while I'm a little flex on tom sizes I really want to find a 14x24. Did they make that size kick in those finishes? Is it just EXTREMELY rare?

I've been poking around a few days now, and can't find anything anywhere mentioning a combo of that size with those finishes, aside from mention of 1 or 2 blue stratas (I think I actually found it on this forum).

Just trying to get an idea of how hard something like that is to find in players grade.

Thanks in advance!

-P
Old 08-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Rogers question: finishes & sizes

Speaking as one who loves my Rogers AND my Slingerland drums ...
Just an ... You can get a set of Slingerland Blue Agate in just this side of perfect condition for MUCH less money.
I say this because it's the wrap that struck the chord. It's the same wrap.
I will say, the Slingerland version is less likely to be cracked and faded. For some odd reason, those blue agate Slingy kits are in phenomenal shape - whereas the Rogers Onyx wraps are usually cracked and faded. It is a head scratcher, for sure.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSling View Post
Speaking as one who loves my Rogers AND my Slingerland drums ...
Just an ... You can get a set of Slingerland Blue Agate in just this side of perfect condition for MUCH less money.
I say this because it's the wrap that struck the chord. It's the same wrap.
I will say, the Slingerland version is less likely to be cracked and faded. For some odd reason, those blue agate Slingy kits are in phenomenal shape - whereas the Rogers Onyx wraps are usually cracked and faded. It is a head scratcher, for sure.
That's interesting, I wonder why there would be a difference in how prone they are to crack?

I'm actually looking for strata (ala ludwigs "blue oyster pearl"), not the onyx finish.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 PM

sounds like you got bit by the beauty of the Rogers Strata bug.

Last edited by Gary N; 06-13-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary N View Post
sounds like you got bit by the beauty of the Rogers Strata bug. It was a CBS OH late 60s color that continued into the CA 70s. So you are ok with odds in those larger sizes. I still have the strata pics I gathered to show color differences, side by side, from the Rob Cook book I can send you large form to see depth and shades of color. The largest variation of the 3 offered was blue. If interested email me direct fltgrycleav at yahoo.com

Enjoy your drum!
GARY!
Hey,
Good to see ya here. Quick verification ... would you have an idea as to why there are so many almost perfect examples of the Slingerland blue agate and so many of the Rogers blue onyx cracked and faded? I've wondered this for a bit and could not come up with any reasonable conclusion. Hoping you have some insight.
Thanks.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:38 AM

RogerSling, Thanks!

Last edited by Gary N; 06-13-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

I saw (and should have snapped up) a pink (or red) strata Rogers set at Guitar Center a few years back, 26 virgin kick/13/18! Asking price was $1,000.00.That was the first time I've seen that color in person and I have yet to see one since that looked as vibrant.So yes,they did make large kicks in stratas.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:57 PM

I own a Rogers Blue Strata drum set. It's from 1969 and the wrap is perfect. It's a real rare wrap for Rogers. The time frame is '67-72 (I know, there's wiggle room, it's Rogers) and it wasn't a big production finish. I have been trying to add toms to the set for a decade, it's going to be hard to piece together a blue strata set. I have seen a few complete sets out there...here's my set (I'm sorry I'm in the shot) from a few weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Me, the rogers, and the Afternoon Round.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	47089  
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Old 08-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have two ripple sets, both uncracked, for the time being. Hopefully they stay that way.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super B View Post
I own a Rogers Blue Strata drum set. It's from 1969 and the wrap is perfect. It's a real rare wrap for Rogers. The time frame is '67-72 (I know, there's wiggle room, it's Rogers) and it wasn't a big production finish. I have been trying to add toms to the set for a decade, it's going to be hard to piece together a blue strata set. I have seen a few complete sets out there...here's my set (I'm sorry I'm in the shot) from a few weeks ago.
Nice kit, Super B!

Guess I'll just have to settle in and expect this to be a long term goal. Probably for the best, since the only way I'd be able to afford it right now is to buy it peice by peice over time anyways.