Old 06-19-2017, 06:03 AM

Default Vintage Pearl Wood Fiberglass
Hi! I have a vintage Pearl Wood Fiberglass drumset. I'm in love with it! It both looks and sounds completely awesome! I have some questions about the drumset, and I hope you Pearl-gurus can tell me about the Wood Fiberglass series.

As far as I understand, the toms are Pearl concert drums? What kind of wood are the toms made of? Do I have a complete set? What is the name of the finish? What year are the toms from?

What kind of wood is the kick-drum and floor-tom made of? (Kick-drum and floor-tom are the only drums labeled "Pearl Wood Fiberglass".) What year are the drums from? What finish do the drums have? What kind of snare did the kit originally have?

I see that the kick-drum legs are unoriginal. Does anyone have a picture of the original ones? Maybe I can find them on Ebay?

I'm also interested in buying a kick drum that is similar to the one I already have, so contact me if you are selling one! =)

What would be a fair price for the whole kit? (Pearl concert toms, floor-tom and kick-drum).
Attached Thumbnails
Old 06-19-2017, 03:46 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Vintage Pearl Wood Fiberglass
I'm going to say 1980 era(not exact) Red Flash wrap. Looks like the set probably had a 8+10" concert tom too. Those look like the correct spurs. Why would you move them 1" ?Wood/Fiberglass drums are Luan Mahogany under the 'glass.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

So what you have is Wood/fibreglass BD & FT... The concert toms are "Dyna Family" phenolic (fibreglass shells) hard to find drums & desired by most who have owned or played them...

They were available in several configeration's during the mid 70's -80's. I think this would be your kit from the '74 catalogue..

Cheers
John
http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/imag...-catalog-9.jpg
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teverson-sr View Post
I'm going to say 1980 era(not exact) Red Flash wrap. Looks like the set probably had a 8+10" concert tom too. Those look like the correct spurs. Why would you move them 1" ?Wood/Fiberglass drums are Luan Mahogany under the 'glass.
Thank you so much for the info! Why somebody decided to move the spurs 1" is hard to say. The holes don't seem to line up though, so I don't think these are the right spurs.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
So what you have is Wood/fibreglass BD & FT... The concert toms are "Dyna Family" phenolic (fibreglass shells) hard to find drums & desired by most who have owned or played them...

They were available in several configeration's during the mid 70's -80's. I think this would be your kit from the '74 catalogue..

Cheers
John
Thank you so much for the info!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:34 AM

I'm trying to sell my father's old kit which is very much like this, but requires a fair bit of restoration work. How much is something like this worth? And where is the ideal place to sell it?

Thank you very much for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 08-09-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie.Puddle.Duck View Post
I'm trying to sell my father's old kit which is very much like this, but requires a fair bit of restoration work. How much is something like this worth? And where is the ideal place to sell it?

Thank you very much for your help.
Ronnie Tutt would love those...
Old 12-16-2017, 02:59 PM

I finally bought my dream kit! Check it out in these music videos!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2nEOQ6uR8Q"]Glimmerskifer - Diesel - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHvuWX8bw8I"]Glimmerskifer - Amazon - YouTube[/ame]
Old 12-16-2017, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post

Cheers
John
longjohn, with all respect, I think you should recheck that info. The fiberglass and phenolic are different shells.... different materials. I have both and they are different in their makeup. Also, the phenolic shells started in the mid 1960's. I think you are right on your estimate of the age of this kit, though.

Last edited by tris66; 12-16-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:26 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Yep, you are correct, (one or the other) My oversight.. but I did slip in "Phenolic " Dyna family toms ?

The BD & FT are Wood/Fibreglass lined..

Note I was working for Pearl in the 70's whilst these kits were all the rage, the phenolic shells are outstanding sound wise.. whilst IMO the wood/fibreglass were heavy & tone dead.

Cheers
John

Tags
fiberglass , pearl , vintage , wood