Old 05-12-2018, 03:48 AM

Default Vintage Pearl Drum Identification
Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone here could enlighten me on what this drum kit is. The lady selling it said it was a vintage Pearl/Ludwig set but the only “Ludwig” thing she sent me as far as I could tell was the head. Does anyone know with confidence what this is and furthermore if it’s worth anything? She wants $250 for it. I know it’s a good deal, but if it’s not an AMAZING deal then I’d rather invest my money elsewhere.

Any help is highly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Old 05-12-2018, 10:58 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Vintage Pearl Drum Identification
These are Pearl-made drums from the mid to late 60's. Looks like a combination of two kits. The shells are luan, also known as Philippine mahogany. Not the best wood, but can be made to sound pretty good. And, yes, the only thing "Ludwig" is that head! While it certainly is allot of drums, I don't think I'd pay $250 for them. Have you been able to inspect each drum? Remember, condition is everything. If they aren't missing any parts and just need to be cleaned up, offer about $175 and see what happens. Personally, I like to bring these MIJ kits back to life, provided I can get them for a good price!

Let us know how it turns out!

-Mark
Old 05-12-2018, 12:15 PM

Thank you for the information kind sir!
Old 05-12-2018, 11:58 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Tell her she has two kits and try buy one. Personally, I do prefer the one with the centre lugs and massive tension rods. It's kind of like a Club Date set. This reminds me - I recently bought a wrecked MIJ that I overpaid for. It's now sitting, collecting dust. Buy them if you can actually see yourself buying new heads for them and playing them. Heads are expensive and it begs the question - are these things worth spending all that money on? You know that if one of the tension rods goes missing / get's wrecked you can't just switch them out for modern ones. Those old MIJ drums used different size tension rods. I bought my kit for nostalgia reasons. I stated out play a MIJ kit, so I had to buy back my youth so to speak. I immediately got the buyers remorse. Really, these kits are shoddy at best. They might look cool on the outside, but have you ever seen inside the shells? Rusty screws and splintered vertical grain firewood is what you see. Save a bit more cash and buy a kit that's well made would be my advise.

Tags
pearl , red sparkle , vintage