Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 12-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Help Needed Regarding Rogers' Lugs

I've seen several listings on-line for vintage Rogers' snare drums with posts that state the drums originally had Bread & Butter lugs which were switched out for Beavertails.

I'm fully aware of the cracking problem with the B&Bs and can only assume that, in most cases, that was probably the reason for the switch. However, what I'd like to know is if the two lug types are interchangeable. In other words, would I be able to replace original B&B lugs with beavertails without having to either modify the factory-drilled holes in the shell or actually drill extra holes (which I wouldn't want to do)?

As usual, any and all "words of wisdom" would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays to all!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Red face Re: Help Needed Regarding Rogers' Lugs

In Rob Cook's "The Rogers Book" it says there were three different generations of the Bread and Butter lug and all had different length and hole spacing. It cautions to give exact measurements if seeking replacements.

The book shows large beavertail spacing at 2 5/16 (bass) and small beaver tail (concert snare) at 1 3/4.

So there is some information that doesn't help answer the question at all.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Help Needed Regarding Rogers' Lugs

You will need to modify holes to go from BB to Beavertail in my experience.. I have done a couple of shells already altered and none lined up exactly.

BB lugs only had screw holes drilled for mounting. Beavertail need larger holes since they have external shoulder pieces for screw holders.