Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 08-22-2019, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Can We Talk Sticks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
Well, Iím playing my little bop kit, but even with that, Iím using stupid-heavy 900 series Yamaha hardware. Nothing moves. Other than the discs in my back lugging them of course.

I set all my drums such that I can easily play rim shots on everything. I donít generally, but this way I know my stick to head angle is as flat as possible. I probably only look half as cool as I could but I donít care at this point!

That gave me a good chuckle! I just turned 60, and when I told people I was taking up the drums they thought I was nuts, but guess what, I don't care at this point either! Lol! I guess I'm supposed to be on the golf course 8 days a week like a good retiree!

Thanks for the ergonomic help. I lowered the hi hats and it is much easier to get to the tom now. I made a mistake when I bought the throne - it doesn't go high enough! Only 21", and now I see the "adult" size that go to 26" or so. Duh! Ill have to replace this one eventually.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:37 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

When I first started playing, I was using an ottoman as a stool. As I grew, encyclopedias were added to raise my height. I think I got up to three before I got a Pearl throne. That was a big deal!

I bet if you ask around here you can get a pre-owned stool for reasonable money. Lots of good guys on here.
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Oak (6X13!); DW collectors 5-1/2X14 maple; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Old 08-22-2019, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

I play mostly trad. country, use a lot of cross stick on snare, I have my snare muffled to sound like a ball hitting a glove with an open strike, when I cross stick I don't like that clicky or cheap sound, I want a nice deep low sound, and the sound is in the stick, I go into music stores with my snare and showed them the sound i'm looking for, ask if I can try each one of their sticks to look for that sound, they look at me like i'm nuts but say go ahead, i'll spend 1/2 hour going thru sticks looking for that sound, one out of 50 will sound what i'm looking for, after about 1/2 hour of tapping every one in shop is saying whats that nut doing. I've been at shows were the sound guy or a will ask me what my snare is? thinking that's were the sound comes from, I tell them its the stick, and show them the difference between two sticks and they can't believe it. i have tried drilling the end and putting a nail in, have tried soaking in water to get the sound, but haven't hound it yet!
Old 08-22-2019, 07:26 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Are you using hickory? Have you tried oak? I find the oak is very lively- it has a great bounce (with the long taper) and a bit more mass than hickory so the stick feels longer than it is. I donít recall it being used in the distant past (just hickory and maple) so maybe itís a new-ish idea...

But if you havenít, you should try it.
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Oak (6X13!); DW collectors 5-1/2X14 maple; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Old 08-23-2019, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
When I first started playing, I was using an ottoman as a stool. As I grew, encyclopedias were added to raise my height. I think I got up to three before I got a Pearl throne. That was a big deal!

I bet if you ask around here you can get a pre-owned stool for reasonable money. Lots of good guys on here.
Another good chuckle! You do realize that half the forum is saying, "what's an encyclopedia?"

Anyway, I might put a post in the wanted forum for a throne. That's a great idea, thanks Jim!
Old 08-23-2019, 09:47 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

No problem!

I'm sure someone can help.
Snares: