Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 01-11-2018, 08:11 PM

Default 70s Vistalite

Hello all,

I picked up a vintage set of Ludwig Vistalites about a year and a half ago. I was in Virginia at the time, my uncle called me and said ďmy buddy has a drum set heís sellingĒ & Iím thinking theyíre probably nothing major. So he says ďtheyíre blue see throughĒ so then Iím like 😮😮😮 ďget them!!! Give him whatever he wants. Iíll pay you back when I get the PhillyĒ so he says heíll take care of it. Later that day my dad texts me saying ďI got a surprise when you get homeĒ and I reply ď1970s Ludwig Vistas???Ē Then he immediately calls me and says ďwtf! Howíd you know?Ē So anyway my dad got them for $150... $150!!! He was ready to pawn our tv thatís how bad he wanted to get them for me.

The kit included:
22x18 bass drum
16x16 floor tom
6 & 8 concert toms
12 & 13 rack toms
14x5 snare drum

Also included all original heads, original pedal & hi hat, old stands and a vintage rolling trap case full of old gear.

Not one crack on any of the shells. It seemed as if someone bought these brand new back in the 70s and played them a handful of times. They were dusty of course but cleaned up very well. The bass drum had a little bit of rash on top, may have been wiped carelessly. And the tom mount bracket is missing one bolt. But for $150..... Iím still in awe.

I wanted to share them for anyone who was interested. Also wanted to get a little back story & info to fill me in on what Iím not sure of.

The snare drum strainer throw was bent in. I corrected it. It had ties holding the wires on. Iím not sure if thatís originally how it came, Iíve been doing a little research and it seems that they were all like that. I havenít cleaned up the snare anyway. Iíve left it on the side for now.

The first two pictures are from when I first cleaned it up. I had it just as a 3 piece. I replaced all the heads with new Aquarian performance 2 and a super kick 2 on the bass. The snare here is my uncles vintage pearl chrome over brass.

So the next picture attached is just a random set up I did last week. I found a late 70s 18x18 floor tom. I paid $400 on an ebay auction. No cracks or blemishes. Came in the original Ludwig case. One leg is bent but Iím planning on replacing with ones that match my 16 which are shorter. And Iíve yet to replace the heads cause I have to order them and Iím lazy. Haha. The only thing is it looks like itís lighter in color. Itís been driving me nuts Iím just so ocd. Iím wondering if I can polish it enough to bring it back to life because it was covered in smoke. But anyway the snare set up there is a Tama sound lab. Not sure the size but itís giant.

Hopefully the images uploaded correctly. Let me know what you think and thanks for checking them out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	708A28DA-6A08-4962-9656-2F178BE02949.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	115631

Name:	028D3CC2-B641-4D63-98BA-5A6FA4D485CF.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	115632

Name:	128DD1B2-3437-46FB-8937-9FB3941C8D06.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	115633
Old 01-11-2018, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: 70s Vistalite

Nice drums, and great story. I've got a set of clear Vistas and I'm a big fan. Those look great and, of course, you can't beat the deal.
Clear Vistalite Kit
Mapex Pro M Kit
Old 01-11-2018, 11:04 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Those are really nice. What a great find as well. I wouldn't let the shade difference on the floor tom bother you much. They look good together. Just to have the 18 is bonus.

Mike
Old 01-12-2018, 03:19 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Johnny,

Nice way to jump into the forum! !

What a great find. Five-piece blue Vistalites are not really that rare, but to have the matching 6"&8" concert toms is a huge bonus. I know at least one Vistalite owner who would love to get his hands on those concert toms. Post some pics of the whole kit once you get everything cleaned up. It'll be very impressive.

Mike