Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2018, 09:25 AM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 555
Default Ludwig Atlas tom mounts on vintage drums

Some of you may know that I got some 3 ply Ludwig toms and matched it with a Rocker kick. Anyway...I noticed that with the standard mounts, some of the resonance is killed. For example, I take the drum off the l-rod and bam, more resonance. I know some prefer a "deader" sound...but I like quite abit of ring/resonance. So, I have some Atlas mounts ordered and will be installing them (nice you don't have to drill any new holes). Anybody have any experience with these mounts...do they change the sound at all?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2018, 04:35 PM
blackd blackd is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 173
Default Re: Ludwig Atlas tom mounts on vintage drums

I have them on all my Ludwig mounted toms and I use them with my bass drum mounted cymbal arms, they are great. good ring on the toms and no annoying cymbal noises from the bass drum
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2018, 04:59 PM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 555
Default Re: Ludwig Atlas tom mounts on vintage drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackd View Post
I have them on all my Ludwig mounted toms and I use them with my bass drum mounted cymbal arms, they are great. good ring on the toms and no annoying cymbal noises from the bass drum
Good to know! Thanks for the info
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2018, 08:44 PM
alparrott alparrott is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 64
Default Re: Ludwig Atlas tom mounts on vintage drums

I use an Atlas mount on my 3-ply rack tom, and it sounds killer. I didn't have it shell-mounted before to compare it with the Atlas mount, but I know there's definitely a difference from when I put it in a snare stand.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Mo Tonkie Mo Tonkie is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: S of Nash
Posts: 543
Default Re: Ludwig Atlas tom mounts on vintage drums

I use 2 atlas mounts on my kick that support my ride cymbal. I use another to mount a cowbell. I use them on 2 floor toms to hold cymbal arms/cymbals. I use another to mount a 10x14 tom. These are 3 ply drums. They've eliminated 3 stands, so I think they're great. Drums sound great too.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-10-2018, 09:10 AM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 555
Default Re: Ludwig Atlas tom mounts on vintage drums

Sounds like I will be happy with them Getting them delivered today. I am going to try to do a before and after video so show the difference in sound/resonance and put it up on youtube.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-10-2018, 10:09 AM
K.O. K.O. is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,634
Default Re: Ludwig Atlas tom mounts on vintage drums

I have them for use with the Atlas arch on a bass drum but I don't use them as tom mounts because I don't like the bracket lined up where a lug would be. Just something that bugs me. Plus they are so bulky looking.

Another good option on a drum that already has the standard Ludwig bracket is the INDe mount which will bolt right on and also acts as an isolation mount.

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 PM
BosLover BosLover is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,010
Default Re: Ludwig Atlas tom mounts on vintage drums

I realize that these new Atlas mounts are incredible devices, and on new drums I would use them in a heartbeat. However, on vintage drums, like my 1961/62 WMP super classics, they will alter the sound of the original drums. I understand for some that the change to a more open sound is a real plus, but part of the joy of owning these drums is having the sound I remembered from back in the day. Second, they will alter the look of the drums, which again is one of the reasons I wanted a vintage set in the first place. Third, the Atlas hardware, besides being costly, is very bulky and very heavy and you will likely need a larger bass drum case if you plan on taking the drums out. But for those who have no problems with the various caveats I've mentioned, they are great products.
__________________
Mark
BosLover
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2018, 02:19 PM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 555
Default Re: Ludwig Atlas tom mounts on vintage drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O. View Post
I have them for use with the Atlas arch on a bass drum but I don't use them as tom mounts because I don't like the bracket lined up where a lug would be. Just something that bugs me. Plus they are so bulky looking.

Another good option on a drum that already has the standard Ludwig bracket is the INDe mount which will bolt right on and also acts as an isolation mount.

INDe BR2 Tom Drum Iso Mount Bracket Mini Review - YouTube

Cool mount...hadn't seen that one before. Less bulky for sure! I got 3 of the atlas mounts for $99 shipped...pretty good price. I Will probably sell the 3rd one on ebay since I only needed 2, lol
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-10-2018, 02:25 PM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 555
Default Re: Ludwig Atlas tom mounts on vintage drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosLover View Post
I realize that these new Atlas mounts are incredible devices, and on new drums I would use them in a heartbeat. However, on vintage drums, like my 1961/62 WMP super classics, they will alter the sound of the original drums. I understand for some that the change to a more open sound is a real plus, but part of the joy of owning these drums is having the sound I remembered from back in the day. Second, they will alter the look of the drums, which again is one of the reasons I wanted a vintage set in the first place. Third, the Atlas hardware, besides being costly, is very bulky and very heavy and you will likely need a larger bass drum case if you plan on taking the drums out. But for those who have no problems with the various caveats I've mentioned, they are great products.
You make some great points! The kit I have isn't all original (toms are 70's 3 ply Ludwigs and the kick is a USA Rocker. I re-wrapped them as well. If it was 100% original kit, I might not have bought the atlas mounts. Good thing it is, if I ever want to take them off...it's pretty easy and no new holes were drilled
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign