Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Restoring Vintage Drums

Old 06-29-2014, 01:15 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: 70's Ludwig project.

I am with Purdie on this. The thermogloss maple look was never too inspiring to me. I did not really care for the look if Bonhom's thermogloss kit. Now a nicely restored TG kit is a fine thing but still a little pedestrian. My apologies in advance to those who own and love them. I tend to like any restored kit so I'll like those as well, but it wouldn't be my first choice.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have often wondered how oak with a nice brownish stain would look. Maple, oak, mahogany and cherry are all being considered because they are the least expensive. I could do a stain with a shaded lacquer for depth. I also wonder if it is time for a satin finish.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon

Last edited by jccabinets; 07-02-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 07-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Jeff - follow the existing lay-up for the veneer! If it's (starting on the inside,) mahogany, poplar, maple... then add a maple veneer, if it's maple, poplar, mahogany... add a mahogany veneer. When you added an extra ply of mahogany to my vintage orphans it only served to warm up the sound of the drums in a really good way. There is something to be said for following the existing lay-up. It enhances, rather than alter, the existing sound of the drums. Introducing a third wood into the mix is a crap-shoot in terms of how it will affect the sound of the drum, it can't be predicted.

Food for thought.

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Old 07-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdie Shuffle View Post
Jeff - follow the existing lay-up for the veneer! If it's (starting on the inside,) mahogany, poplar, maple... then add a maple veneer, if it's maple, poplar, mahogany... add a mahogany veneer. When you added an extra ply of mahogany to my vintage orphans it only served to warm up the sound of the drums in a really good way. There is something to be said for following the existing lay-up. It enhances, rather than alter, the existing sound of the drums. Introducing a third wood into the mix is a crap-shoot in terms of how it will affect the sound of the drum, it can't be predicted.

Food for thought.

John
I like this logic. makes sense to me.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdie Shuffle View Post

Food for thought.

John
This is coming from a guy that does LSD and dates a mannequin, lol!

Just kidding John, I will have to look at them again, have not been home for a couple weeks. I will say the zebra wood on the Ludwigs and the KOA on the Rogers turned out fine. I don't know if my ears could tell the difference between sound based on wood species, but I'm sure you are correct. Wood species and shell construction is what makes the drum, so John is absolutely correct.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Old 07-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Jeff,
Take a look at some of the fantastic grain timbers that these guys are using... Really love some of the reds & darker veneers..
Just food for thought..

Cheers
John
https://www.facebook.com/metrodrums

Last edited by longjohn; 07-03-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
Jeff,
Take a look at some of the fantastic grain timbers that these guys are using... Really love some of the reds & darker veneers..
Just food for thought..

Cheers
John
https://www.facebook.com/metrodrums
Wow! I cant compete with those guys, they are way more advanced than I am. But your right, it gets the old wheels turning. Thing is, this kit was bought with re-sale in mind so I have to keep it simple.

The shells are maple,poplar, mahogany , by the way.

Thank you!
Jeff C

Old 07-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Do I dare and try something like the kit on the top of this Ludwig web page?

http://www.ludwig-drums.com/drumkits.php

Kinda scary,lol

Thank you!
Jeff C

Old 07-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Jeff - Go to the Stewart/McDonald website and look at the 'Sunburst' dye kits they sell to guitar builders! All of those great finishes, Tobacco Sunburst, Cherry Sunburst, etc. can be applied to drum shells. They also offer great clear-coat materials that you might want to look into.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and...ts_and_Stains/

That kind of finish is very do-able and I think it's about time somebody tried one out on a drum kit! Check it out, it's a real eye-opener for finish possibilities.

John

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm

Last edited by Purdie Shuffle; 07-25-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

My fervent vote is for the satin finish you admired on the Gretsch kit in the "Let's see what you're currently playing!" thread...

Also loooove thermo gloss!

Mitch