Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 06-12-2018, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Default Old Man Rant: Something I hope never happens to drums.

I have never liked those guitars that have been purposely made to look worn..."reliced" they call them, which even spell check does not recognize as a real word. I've even seen tools on CL that will post it as a luthier service. Pay me to make your nice guitar a look trashed, but in a cool way? I'd like to rename it...dis-honest wear.

Anyway, I'm a total hypocrite as I look down at the dis-honest wear on my blue jeans and pre-faded tee shirt, but man, I hope drum companies don't go down that road.

I could just see it...a factory yellowed WMP wrap with cigarette burns and pre-drilled extra holes, scuffed up bass hoops, new heads that look dirty and stick marked...noooooooooooooooooooo
Old 06-12-2018, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Old Man Rant: Something I hope never happens to drums.

They already do.
Look at the Ludwig Copperphonics and the Pearl Patina breass.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
They already do.
Look at the Ludwig Copperphonics and the Pearl Patina breass.
Faux patina on metals like copper is not quite as cheesy to me, even a silver sparkle wrap that was made to look like vintage "ginger ale" silver sparkle wrap would not strike me as cheesy, that's like my faded GAP tee shirt.
Hmmm. I guess what really rubs me wrong are guitars that are trying a little too hard to look like a guitar that was played on the road for 30 years. But then again, if someone is doing it as an artistic statement, I like art...hmmm I guess I don't really have a beef...

nevermind.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Never heard the term 'reliced' before. In the furniture world, the term 'distressed' is typically used.

1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1937 8x14 Leedy WMP Broadway Standard Parallel
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:13 PM

I'm also a guitarist, so let me try to explain why a relic'd guitar can be a good thing.

Very often, guitars, particularly ones with polyester finishes, feel stiff and cold when you strap them on, almost too perfect. They don't feel player friendly. A tastefully relic'd or aged guitar often feels broken in, comfortable, like it's seen hundreds of gigs already. It's been well played and is user friendly the minute you put it on, and that's why players like myself like them. They just feel better than a shiny, plastic covered guitar. You hold a guitar against your body, so it's got to feel good. You don't do that with drums.

What I have a problem with are amateurs who take a belt sander to a perfectly good guitar and ruin the finish. When relicing is done by someone who doesn't know what he's doing, the results are usually terrible and laughable at the same time. You see them on Ebay and Reverb all the time, and you can always tell the good relic jobs from the bad ones.

I hope I've explained why some guitarists like relicing. Another thing: some people say you should only relic a guitar naturally over a period of time, say 20 or 30 years. Well, some of us don't have 20 or 30 years to do that!

Finally, John Mellencamp's drummer, Dane Clark, uses a relic'd drumset with rusty hardware. Check them out online sometime. I'd say 98%% of the drummers out there want their drums to look bright, clean and shiny, so I doubt the relic thing will ever happen to any extent on drums.
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Rogers, Oyster Black, 13/16/22
'70s Tempro, Red Grain Pearl, 12/14/14sn/20
Too many snares to list!

Author of the book, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."

Last edited by DrumBob; 06-12-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I'm laughing now. I earned a hell of a lot of money selling the Relic, Closet Classic, and New Old Stock guitars and basses that my employer introduced at a NAMM show in the mid 1990s. Not every one of my dealers was authorized to sell Custom Shop instruments. Most of the dealers who stocked and sold Custom Shop instruments loved the guitars that looked as though they were old instruments that have been lovingly played and maintained. The dealers who voiced dislike for them or asked why we would offer these instruments were always told that it's OK. Those guitars are not a fit for your store. Let's move on to the other items that are good for your store. Those are guitars. Certain amplifiers have similar mojo for the well-worn look. As a drummer, I don't like the beat up look. I want my old drums to shine. The Levon Helm or Kentucky Headhunters drum set look is unappealing to me. Many guitar and bass players love the distressed look, and relatively few drummers like that look for their drums.

Last edited by leedybdp; 06-12-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:30 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I like my drums OLD & beautiful.
What the hands of time does to them I cannot control.
But I still want them shiny, just OLD!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leedyWMP1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	119437  
Old 06-12-2018, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

I agree with DrumBob, the idea of a reliced instrument is not inherently bad, but it can certainly be poorly executed. And, in the end, if the sound produced by the instrument is not compromised, then who cares?

As my 89 year old father-in-law always says...De gustibus non est disputandum which loosely translated means..."There is no accounting for taste."
Old 06-12-2018, 06:19 PM

I hope and pray "they" never do the relic thing with new drums, and I prefer my vintage drums to be as nice as possible.
Having said that, I have a few dinged up old kit I like to gig on because I don't have to worry about dinging them up. They already are......
Old 06-12-2018, 07:00 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Toast View Post
I could just see it...a factory yellowed WMP wrap
They already do that......its called "Antique Marine Pearl" or "Antique White Pearl" depending on the manufacturer......personally I never cared for that aged white pearl......real or otherwise. WMP (true WMP that is, not the stuff they are passing off as WMP these days) looks fantastic when it is pristine and original as opposed to aged & yellowed.