Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 06-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default stereo help needed- ext spkrs

The stereo I hAVE DOES NOT HAVE RCA jacks for external speakers.So I tried to use a small stereo jack to bypass the main speakers.It did work but the sound was barely audible.If I were to add a pre-amp to the stereo jacks would that help with the volume??I don't want to tear the thing apart to bypass the main speakers.So the headphone jack seemed to be the easy route.Any stereo-philes in the know?
Thanks in advance Matt
67-Root Beer Clubdates
65-Cream tiger-stripe Pearl Presidents
60's Red Sparkle Artist LTD
60's yellow sparkle Trixon's
??'s Kingston-MIJ--3piece kit/Pearl snare
many vintage pedals,cymbals,parts,ect,ect
Old 06-11-2018, 04:17 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Arrow Re: stereo help needed- ext spkrs

Do you need 2 sets of speakers on at the same time?
Or 1 on and 1 off?
Old 06-11-2018, 05:31 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: stereo help needed- ext spkrs

RCA jacks are not used for speaker outputs .. If you wish to drive more additional speakers you need consider the impedance of the speakers or you may blow up the amp. However ...If you only want to use one pair at a time you can buy a small & inexpensive speaker A-B SWITCH BOX..

(40 years in the HI FI industry)..

Cheers
John
Old 06-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MME View Post
The stereo I hAVE DOES NOT HAVE RCA jacks for external speakers.So I tried to use a small stereo jack to bypass the main speakers.It did work but the sound was barely audible.If I were to add a pre-amp to the stereo jacks would that help with the volume??I don't want to tear the thing apart to bypass the main speakers.So the headphone jack seemed to be the easy route.Any stereo-philes in the know?
Thanks in advance Matt
Adding a preamp will do NOTHING for you. What you are hearing as output is already from a preamp. The problem you have is that you have no power amp. Sounds like what you need is a pair of powered speakers, or a different stereo altogether. As others have said, watch out for too low a speaker impedance load, it WILL blow your stereo if you aren't careful.

Best thing in this case IMO is to get a stereo that meets your needs rather than trying to mickey mouse one that doesn't. It will be cheaper & easier in the long run.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:36 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I agree with Ludwig Dude, Buy powered speakers they won't send anything back to the unit.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 06-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
RCA jacks are not used for speaker outputs .. If you wish to drive more additional speakers you need consider the impedance of the speakers or you may blow up the amp. However ...If you only want to use one pair at a time you can buy a small & inexpensive speaker A-B SWITCH BOX..

(40 years in the HI FI industry)..

Cheers
John
There was a time, I'm sure you remember, when cheap stereos did have RCA speaker outs
Old 06-13-2018, 01:34 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I've got a few vintage units that have RCA jacks for the speakers. Have a couple that have both RCA and the other together.

Mike
Old 06-13-2018, 06:35 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

My bud tried to use them on makeshift pa it did not work
Sweet 1964 wmp super Classic with matching. Jazz
1967 obp holly wood

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825
Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MME View Post
Thanks in advance Matt
Hi Matt,

Hope you can post pictures of what you have. I've been into stereo since the mid-60's and know quite a lot about them. In my experience, only lower-priced receivers used RCA jacks for speakers. And I'm talking low-end units. At the very least, any decent receiver or amplifier would have spring clips for the speaker wires. Pictures of your unit would really help. If nothing else, how about a make and model?

-Mark
Old 06-14-2018, 06:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

RCA plugs were originally designed to connect modular turntables to integrated amps.. Via shielded Coaxial Cable.... Shielded audio cable is not recommended for speaker connection.
In my experience with major "Top End" brands of Hi Fi, RCA's have not been used for speaker connections.

In the 60's some were been used in low end brands but I have not had the misfortune to encounter them. (These lower end amps are not real flexible with speaker loads being messed with either) .

Nowdays most integrated amps have provision for 2 pair of speakers and many also have a Pre Out option which can be looped to as many power amps as you wish.

A speaker switching box from Radio Shack is the go..

Cheers
John