Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 06-06-2018, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Need Help identifying ludwig black panther set?

What a crazy set, right? The vinyl definitely isn't black panther, unless guy used. Some kind of abrasive cleaner that wore away the indentations (ive done it to leather couches with a magic eraser before) underneath isn't psychedelic. It's yellow with gold glitter, pieces are rounded. The other drum has orange flakes looks quite old. Also anyone know about cymbals/ stands? Im gonna go take pics of paint underneath
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5499034461.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	119229  
Old 06-06-2018, 05:06 AM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/38UzmRpgevqo54K42

Bass drum pics only and of yellow gold sparkle paint underneath vinyl. Under that beautiful redish wood. Any ideas of what this could be?
Old 06-06-2018, 05:12 AM

Only a couple pics of tall drum here with orange sparkle underneath black vinyl
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4BgApslcUsUBkCR82
Old 06-06-2018, 05:21 AM

Two drums that sit on top of bass. Different types of leather/ vinyl one felt backing one harder leather same lugs and diamond brackets with clip to hold onto basss bracket

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TsW6G1vjuW777oAD3
Old 06-06-2018, 05:26 AM

Only couple pics of 2 small ludwigs with serial numbers badges made of black heavy plastic? On tama stand

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1l0rLRa7mNEf4j9Z2
Old 06-06-2018, 05:33 AM

Last but not least, what's up with these pieces? Stands, chairs, cow bell, wood block. Bracketts, hardware, foot pedals, etc?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bUtiKFtCZrfr4Pp72
Old 06-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

J you sure have a mess there if this is you first foray into this kinda of collecting , this is not it !sorry .
But as a player kit you mite bring it to some sort of playability with a lot of elbow grease first off try to put it all back ( the wrap) if it is not destroyed and then clean up the hardwares as is and play , you could do a lot worse, btw are you a drummer ? none of us here even asked good Luck . also any relations , to ol Johnny cash himself? Just asking don’t mean to be nosy
Gary
Sweet 1964 wmp super Classic with matching. Jazz
1967 obp holly wood

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825
Old 06-07-2018, 01:50 AM

My grandfather would say we were related to roseanne cash. But who knows, it's a small world.. so I'm a collector of many things, this is my first drum set. My 13 year old twins play(ed) But they lost interest, discovered sports and girls.. uggh. . My relaxing and fun side hobby is restoring old furniture and pieces, but lately i just don't have the time, room, or patience. I'm expecting my 4th son in 2 months. So i need to declutter and unload as much as possible to make my shoebox of s house somewhat livable or at least functional.. I can appreciate someone being more interested in investing their energy into restoring this hot mess of a set or a piece or rwo, or.. what do you think i should ask for it? How should i go about reaching to find someone who would want to? How do I label what are they besides the ludwigs with badges i know Sell set or piece it off? Are the vintage stands, pedals, cymbals worth anything? If so ballpark figure i should ask for? Maybe I'll redo like one drum myself, but which to pick? The crappy ones i could strip for parts. Or do you not recommend that? I could get the vinyl back on, would take time on the bass and large floor tom or say heck with it one lump sum of $xxx.xx winner takes all? Such a shame. I traded a very expensive dining room sold wood furniture set and 16 service piece Lennox china ware for this mess
Old 06-07-2018, 08:15 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

The stands are good stuff, Are the cymbals name brand? Zildjian, Sabian, paiste ? they would be stamped into the cymbals.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:58 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemore2000 View Post
The stands are good stuff, Are the cymbals name brand? Zildjian, Sabian, paiste ? they would be stamped into the cymbals.
Here's my take on the cymbals going left to right.

There is model and diameter ink on whatever that one is on the left. We need to know what it says to get a better identification and price estimate.

The MEDIUM CRASH can be pinned down from the ink in the photo, except I need to know the diameter to be sure of the rest of my scaling of diameters for all the cymbals. I think it is an 18". If so the expected price is about $100 with half selling from about $80 to $160 based on over 100 completed sale I've monitored.

The next cymbals on the right look 14" and 22" which are the most likely sizes. They are probably A Zildjian, but to be sure you would look for pressed in trademark stamps which are small (say 1.25" to 1.5" tall) and easy to miss. I can establish production era from the trademark, although from what I can see in this photo the likely eras (post 1950s) aren't going to affect the expected price by much. You are looking for something like this:

just to confirm that they are A Zildjian cymbals.

The smallest diameter cymbal would usually be paired up with another one the same diameter as hi-hats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cymbals-3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	119287  

Paiste 602/Sound Creation research click here
Which K Stamp? A DIY tool click here
Old K prices and weights click here
Avedis Zildjian gallery and timeline click here
Old A prices and weights click here

Last edited by zenstat; 06-07-2018 at 04:20 PM.