Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Restoring Vintage Drums

Old 05-18-2018, 10:44 AM

Default Swivomatic pedal rehab questions

Good day all,

I finally found for sale online the pedal I have been searching for - the "transition" Swivomatic that has the Swivo footboard but the Supreme-style lever hoop clamp. It's going to be used for play not display so some light mods are in order with no regard for verisimilitude:

First things first while I have it torn apart for cleaning I plan to replace what I assume are oilite bushings with original spec needle bearings. Just to be sure: my best option for this are Torrington B68, correct? And where can I get the best deal on these? Lowest price I can find on eBay is $11 per.

I will also probably replace the spring which looks a bit rough. Will a garden variety Gibraltar pedal spring work on this guy?

It's also missing one of the two height adjustment set screws, and a few others show some rust -- what size/TPI am I looking at here and is there a suitable modern-day replacement?

And finally, will modern beater shafts fit in the clamp? I recall reading that the Swivo and Supreme differ in this regard so I wonder which is the oddball by current standards.

I know there are several thoughtful threads already on this topic, which I have perused with MUCH appreciation, but not all of my questions were covered so I thought I may as well just ask all of the ones I had at once. Apologies for any redundancy and thanks in advance!
Old 05-18-2018, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Swivomatic pedal rehab questions

Here is what I did to tune up my Big R supreme. First, I replaced the axle shaft with 3/8 bar stock from Home Depot. I replaced the J65 needle bearings with B68 ones. They stuck out a little on each end of the stem, but they work fine. I then replaced the spring rocker with one from an older Yamaha pedal. I had to bore the hole out to 3/8” to fit the axle, but it works fine . I used the original spring, but others will work if they’re not too long.
PM me for more details if you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SWMatic_1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	118815  
Attached Images

Several snares

Last edited by Tommyp; 05-18-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:16 PM

I bought my Torrington B-68 bearings from Jim's Junk (of all places). Great price ($7)and lowest shipping cost for sure given both of us are in Canada. Jim was quick to respond to my queries, gave me a bunch of shipping options, packaged the bearings well for shipping and it all worked out great!
Old 05-19-2018, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

The beater on my Supreme, they call it the "blackjack", has a thicker shaft than normal. I don't know about the earlier Swivos or transitional supremes (with the Swivo footboard and the supreme style hoop clamp).
I can get a regular beater shaft to work, but it helps if there's a "flat" ground into it, like earlier Yamahas. You just have to make sure to tighten it in carefully so there's no wiggle.
Several snares
Old 05-19-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8upwithit View Post
The beater on my Supreme, they call it the "blackjack", has a thicker shaft than normal. I don't know about the earlier Swivos or transitional supremes (with the Swivo footboard and the supreme style hoop clamp).
I can get a regular beater shaft to work, but it helps if there's a "flat" ground into it, like earlier Yamahas. You just have to make sure to tighten it in carefully so there's no wiggle.
Thanks for your answer. Ideally I would be using a Blackjack which is more practical than the DW but that would require swapping the cam out for one from a Big R which I'm sure is feasible.
Alternatively I wonder if Rogers will be selling their new Dynamatic pedal's beater separately -- it appears to be identical to the Blackjack with what one assumes is a modern shaft diameter...
Old 05-19-2018, 12:19 PM

Another question about the bearings.
Are the Koyo brand bearings pretty much identical to Torrington? I see something about them having the same parent company.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrolite Acolyte View Post
Another question about the bearings.
Are the Koyo brand bearings pretty much identical to Torrington? I see something about them having the same parent company.
They are. I bought some.
Several snares
Old 05-19-2018, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrolite Acolyte View Post
Thanks for your answer. Ideally I would be using a Blackjack which is more practical than the DW but that would require swapping the cam out for one from a Big R which I'm sure is feasible.
Alternatively I wonder if Rogers will be selling their new Dynamatic pedal's beater separately -- it appears to be identical to the Blackjack with what one assumes is a modern shaft diameter...
I'm sure they will at some point, but I hope it's longer than the blackjack, which I think is too short
Several snares
Old 05-19-2018, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

BTW, here are some photos of a Supreme shaft that I bought for parts. The grooves are from the original J65 bearings, which had obviously been neglected. The other pic is a new shaft I made from 3/8” bar stock. Works like a charm.
Several snares
Old 05-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry, forgot to upload photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37A5BCC1-8BA4-454D-A3FC-FB5AEBA59C3C.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	118831   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC0BA8C3-2DD9-4E22-9890-9533DA7D1DAD.jpg