Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Restoring Vintage Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-07-2018, 10:51 AM
mchair303 mchair303 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,841
Default Re: Question regarding re-wrapping and old glue

Whoa Mike! Nice job getting that Butcher Block off my shell! It looks perfectly flat, unwarped, and undamaged. Something I could never do when using a heat gun. Can't wait to see the drum you rewrap with that.

You pose a good question, and I'm waiting to see what the rewrapping experts say. We all have our favorite chemical or abrasive method of removing adhesives from shells (as discussed in this thread), but I haven't see much on cleaning the backs of old wraps. Unlike wood shells, I would imagine that just about any chemical stripper is going to eat into the wrap. What's left for options? Slow, tedious sanding?

Mike
__________________
-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-07-2018, 11:44 AM
amosguy amosguy is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 1,155
Default Re: Question regarding re-wrapping and old glue

I have used a critic based remover and let it sit for a while. In my case (Rogers Big R shells), it would turn a white-ish color as it reacted with the shell. I tried using a metal and plastic putty knife with poor results. The best scrapper I found was dragging (angled back toward me) a wide sharp wood chisel backwards at an angle over the surface. It doesn't dig into the wood that way, and the surface stays safe. Sanding for the small amount of residue left was best in the final cleanup.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-07-2018, 02:02 PM
CTMichaelV CTMichaelV is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Shelton CT & Mont-St Gregoire Canada
Posts: 659
Default Re: Question regarding re-wrapping and old glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchair303 View Post
Whoa Mike! Nice job getting that Butcher Block off my shell! It looks perfectly flat, unwarped, and undamaged. Something I could never do when using a heat gun. Can't wait to see the drum you rewrap with that.

You pose a good question, and I'm waiting to see what the rewrapping experts say. We all have our favorite chemical or abrasive method of removing adhesives from shells (as discussed in this thread), but I haven't see much on cleaning the backs of old wraps. Unlike wood shells, I would imagine that just about any chemical stripper is going to eat into the wrap. What's left for options? Slow, tedious sanding?

Mike
Thanks Mike
It actually took about 2 hours of very slow and methodical applications of low heat on and off the wrap and rocking the putty knife back and forth while pushing it forward to loosen up the glue on the wrap.
I think i'll give Goo Gone a shot to see if that will work on the glue without damaging the wrap.
Will have the shell in a UPS box on its way back to you when I am in CT the week of the 21st.
Thanks again my friend !
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-07-2018, 09:37 PM
jccabinets jccabinets is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,006
Default Re: Question regarding re-wrapping and old glue

That butcher block wrap looks like the cortex stuff which is like a thin plastic laminate ( Formica). I cant see any of the solvents mentioned causing any harm to that stuff. If it were regular Delmar wrap then that would be different.
__________________

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-08-2018, 09:18 AM
CTMichaelV CTMichaelV is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Shelton CT & Mont-St Gregoire Canada
Posts: 659
Default Re: Question regarding re-wrapping and old glue

Thanks Jeff !
I used Goo Gone along with a razor blade and putty knife.
Put the G-G liquid on and let it sit for about 5-min the slowly scraped off the glue. Afterwards I wiped it down with a soapy rag then one with just water to remove the residual G-G solvent. Worked pretty well and it appears as though 90+ % of the glue came off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goo-Gone Wrap to start.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	118538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goo-Gone 1.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	118539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goo-Gone 2.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	118540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goo-Gone 3.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	118541  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Goo-Gone 4.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	118542  
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-09-2018, 05:31 AM
jccabinets jccabinets is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,006
Default Re: Question regarding re-wrapping and old glue

So what drum are you using this wrap on? Im interested to see how that goes, could you post some pictures of that project please.
__________________

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-09-2018, 06:09 AM
CTMichaelV CTMichaelV is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Shelton CT & Mont-St Gregoire Canada
Posts: 659
Default Re: Question regarding re-wrapping and old glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccabinets View Post
So what drum are you using this wrap on? Im interested to see how that goes, could you post some pictures of that project please.
Hey Jeff
I am going to use it on a Rogers shell since it came from a Rogers drum. Still need to do some research on how to cut the wrap down to a workable size so I do t destroy it and the butcher block lines end up being straight. Then will need to properly trim it etc. I've never wrapped a drum with the Formica type material so any hints would be great.
I also am buying a 70's era piece of Ludwig B-block wrap from another member that I will use to rewrap a 70's Ludwig orphan snare shell with.
I am thinking of goi g to HD to get a piece of generic Formica to play with so I can get how to do it right before doing it on there drums.
Will post pictures when the 2 projects are finished
__________________
No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-09-2018, 06:18 AM
FFR428 FFR428 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CT.
Posts: 5,332
Default Re: Question regarding re-wrapping and old glue

Hi Michael. Few years ago I was working on a project that would remove paint from drum wraps easily. Some worked some didn't. But my original concoction did remove old glue from a 50's Gretsch WMP clean as a whistle! Was a mix of water miscible press wash and water. I have a good citrus based glue remover I use at work. I'll get the name. Been meaning to try this on some old glue.
__________________
Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-09-2018, 06:04 PM
jccabinets jccabinets is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,006
Default Re: Question regarding re-wrapping and old glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMichaelV View Post
Hey Jeff
I am going to use it on a Rogers shell since it came from a Rogers drum. Still need to do some research on how to cut the wrap down to a workable size so I do t destroy it and the butcher block lines end up being straight. Then will need to properly trim it etc. I've never wrapped a drum with the Formica type material so any hints would be great.
I also am buying a 70's era piece of Ludwig B-block wrap from another member that I will use to rewrap a 70's Ludwig orphan snare shell with.
I am thinking of goi g to HD to get a piece of generic Formica to play with so I can get how to do it right before doing it on there drums.
Will post pictures when the 2 projects are finished
Well I work with plastic laminates on cabinets and also I can tell you is it's done with contact cement and trimmed with a flush trim bit on a router. Wrapping a drum is going to be a little different of course. I would think you would need to rip the laminate to size on a table saw before you it hear it because it's very hard to cut with a utility knife and I'm sure you can do it. And I do know that formica is much thicker then the cortex wrap.
__________________

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-09-2018, 06:06 PM
jccabinets jccabinets is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,006
Default Re: Question regarding re-wrapping and old glue

Some of the words in my reply didn't come out right because I was using my phone. I'll try to get on my PC later and give a better response.
__________________

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign