Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 09-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Default Zim Gar snare - decent price?

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to purchase this snare from a private seller. From the other pics, it appears to be all original hardware and is playable. Luan mahogany shell with re-rings and decent but yellowed WMP. It has the Brooklyn badge as well, and is probably mid to late 60s. AFAIK, these were manufactured in Japan by Pearl and distributed by the ZIMmerman GARfield distribution company in Brooklyn. At $120 plus shipping, it feels like its priced at the top of the range for a MIJ and would probably be worth something way way further down the road. One of the appeals for me is that its playable, and my rule is that any instrument I buy doesn't sit on a shelf - I use them all, because I like the thought of being a part of its musical history. Also, it seems like these Zim Gars are getting a bit harder to come by.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8956.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	111971  
Old 09-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Zim Gar snare - decent price?

I wouldn't pay $120 for it, sorry to say. Looks like some funky, rusty stuff going on with the lugs, and those snare strainers are notoriously bad, IMO. You'll be replacing that at some point. Offer $75.

I have a similar Stewart WMP snare that my next door neighbor found in someone's garbage. He was thoughtful enough to rescue it for me, and now I plan to make it a resto project; strip it down, recover it, add a new strainer and get it playable. Otherwise, I doubt I'd spend any serious coin on a MIJ snare drum. To this day, companies that make low end drums seem to skimp on the snares for some reason, which makes so sense to me, as the snare drum has always been the most important part of the drumset.
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/16/22
'74 Slingerland Gold Sparkle, 13/14/18/24
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60's Stewart, Gold Glass Glitter, 12/13/16/22
'60s MIJ Apollo/Majestic, Red Sparkle, 13/16/20

Author, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."

Last edited by DrumBob; 09-02-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:02 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I have a red sparkle snare like that. Really cool styling........

I would not pay $20 for it.

Don't get me wrong....I LOVE vintage MIJ.

I'm just saying that since I own one just like this, it is very low quality, even for vintage MIJ which is known to have some low quality stuff.

I am going to use my Zim Gar snare (just like this one) for a pot. (not kidding - it's THAT poor of quality)

You want a vintage MIJ snare - get a metal one from before 1975.

2Timothy1:7
Old 09-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohnlec View Post
Hi all,

I have an opportunity to purchase this snare from a private seller. From the other pics, it appears to be all original hardware and is playable. Luan mahogany shell with re-rings and decent but yellowed WMP. It has the Brooklyn badge as well, and is probably mid to late 60s. AFAIK, these were manufactured in Japan by Pearl and distributed by the ZIMmerman GARfield distribution company in Brooklyn. At $120 plus shipping, it feels like its priced at the top of the range for a MIJ and would probably be worth something way way further down the road. One of the appeals for me is that its playable, and my rule is that any instrument I buy doesn't sit on a shelf - I use them all, because I like the thought of being a part of its musical history. Also, it seems like these Zim Gars are getting a bit harder to come by.

Is it the round blue Brooklyn badge or the round keyhole Bronze Brooklyn badge ? The bronze being the older. You may never find that bronze badge snare again.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 09-02-2017, 06:51 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I love all my vintage 60's MIJ snare drums! I believe there is a recent topic on VDF concerning the ever increasing prices of these drums. Concerning the asking price of $120 for the Zim Gar snare, that's just nuts!! For that kind of $$$, the drum better be absolutely pristine. This Zim Gar MIGHT be worth $40-$50 to the right person. Myself, I'd pass on it.

-Mark
Old 09-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I also want to point out that just because the "Zim-Gar" name doesn't appear often, does not mean it's valuable. You need to remember that there were only 2 or 3 factories turning out all these drums with DOZENS of interesting badges. For myself, it's both the badge name, and finish, that are cool to collect. Still, just nothing special about Zim Gar!

-Mark
Old 09-02-2017, 09:45 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

On second thought, instead of offering $75, I'd pass if I were you. Those Zim-Gars were awful, but as someone else pointed out, there are well made MIJ snare drums out there. I have a BMP Pearl snare, age unknown, and it sounds great-one of the best snare drums I own. And it cost me $50!
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/16/22
'74 Slingerland Gold Sparkle, 13/14/18/24
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60's Stewart, Gold Glass Glitter, 12/13/16/22
'60s MIJ Apollo/Majestic, Red Sparkle, 13/16/20

Author, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."
Old 09-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Here's a really nice "Recco" snare drum on eBay. Item number 201972487506

I have one EXACTLY like it. Same color and everything. It's a virtual Rogers clone... Tall Boy hoops, Clockface strainer and Swivo-style butt, all of very nice castings. The lugs look like small Beavertails meeting in the middle! Even the muffler is modeled after the Rogers. My drum took allot of work to clean up, but this one on eBay looks good to go! Shipping would be at least $30 or a bit more, so you're paying about $100 for the drum. Given the excellent build of this drum, this is a keeper! Sure beats the pants off your typical MIJ snare drum!

Here's the VDF link where I posted pictures of my Recco... http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=54037

-Mark

Last edited by idrum4fun; 09-02-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:59 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Just found this link showing my Recco during restoration and the final outcome!

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=54043

-Mark
Old 09-03-2017, 01:05 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
I also want to point out that just because the "Zim-Gar" name doesn't appear often, does not mean it's valuable. You need to remember that there were only 2 or 3 factories turning out all these drums with DOZENS of interesting badges. For myself, it's both the badge name, and finish, that are cool to collect. Still, just nothing special about Zim Gar!

-Mark
"Zim Gar" industries had a wood factory in Mexico. Their wood products, (flutes, guitars, stave bongo`s and kits) were made in Mexico, shipped to Japan where the hardware was made by Pearl and later (Black and Gold/Blue and White badges) by Star and assembly took place.

I did a pretty good data search a few years ago on them, They had no foundry and could not afford the Federal fees and taxes or comply to the rules of plating in the USA. The Mexico factory had no forms or ovens, Blanks, sheets and stave wood was sent to Japan, first they dealt with Pearl and later Star.

I cannot confirm the dealings with Star. But so many MIJ collectors know star when they see it and all the one`s with the blue, black and gold badges say they have Star hardware. The round Brass Brooklyn they mostly say Pearl. They were not known for their edges, and most re-did them and found them good to gig with.

That`s all I can remember unless I go find my notes, But you gotta know what you`re doing with a snare drum or it wont respond or hold it`s tune.

Some guys can make a cookie sheet duct taped to a SONOR throne sound better than most snares.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i