Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

View Poll Results: Which Bass Drum Would You Choose?
14 x 24 16 40.00%
14 x 26 23 57.50%
14 x 28 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-26-2014, 01:07 PM
vintagemore2000 vintagemore2000 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10,683
Default Re: Big Bass Drum Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Eyed Jack View Post
So it seems to me what you are saying is that the contrast between 26 and 28 isn't as much as the job from a 24 to a 26?
If you go from a 24" to a 28" yes it is a big jump but 2" increments not so much. I play a lot at least 2 to 4 hours daily and perform also. if your foot is in shape it's not a big deal going from a 26' To A 28."I have a big Ludwig stainless steel with a 24" and 26" bass drums those two bass drums out perform all my other bass drums hands down, they are the best sounding drums on the planet nothing else compares. I can get a bonham sound out of them, but my 1939 Radio king double 28"bass drum kit sounds nothing like bonham, just a heads up.
__________________
Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!

Last edited by vintagemore2000; 11-26-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-26-2014, 02:50 PM
Wayne Brown Wayne Brown is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Stratford,Ont.Canada
Posts: 1,461
Default Re: Big Bass Drum Poll

I play smaller bass drums 20`s and 22`s but i`ve always loved the thunder from big bass drums.I voted 26" as to my ear it sounds the best when dialed in properly.Also a nice mid-range in the large bass drum department and very versatile.

Wayne
__________________
1967 Rogers Cleveland Champagne Sparkle
20,16,13,13.
1967/68 Rogers Dayton Champagne Sparkle
20,16,13,13.
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
22,22,18,16,15,14,13.
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-26-2014, 03:05 PM
hawghunter hawghunter is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 707
Default Re: Big Bass Drum Poll

I voted 24 and I love the 26, but I would not want to haul the 26 around. It is a hawg, but it does go BOOM!!!!!! when you put your foot into it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-26-2014, 05:41 PM
1Eyed Jack 1Eyed Jack is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 25
Default Re: Big Bass Drum Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage drum bug View Post
They're all killer drums. Im a small guy but I feel like Thor when I play on my 26" vistalite! And when I play my 28" Radio king I'm Odin himself!
that's what I'm talking about! I can't wait to experience that myself.
__________________
1Eyed Jack Pearl/Paiste/Aquarian/Vick Ferth
Drums Pearl Master Custom Extra 1997
10x12 Tom
11x13 Tom
16x16 Floor Tom
6x14 Tama Star Phonic Snare Drum
18x24 Bass Drum
Cymbals Paiste
14"Dark Crisp Hats
17"&19"Sig Full Crashes 20"Giant Beat Multi
21" Sig Dry Heavy Ride
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-26-2014, 05:50 PM
1Eyed Jack 1Eyed Jack is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 25
Default Re: Big Bass Drum Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemore2000 View Post
If you go from a 24" to a 28" yes it is a big jump but 2" increments not so much. I play a lot at least 2 to 4 hours daily and perform also. if your foot is in shape it's not a big deal going from a 26' To A 28."I have a big Ludwig stainless steel with a 24" and 26" bass drums those two bass drums out perform all my other bass drums hands down, they are the best sounding drums on the planet nothing else compares. I can get a bonham sound out of them, but my 1939 Radio king double 28"bass drum kit sounds nothing like bonham, just a heads up.
so, if the Bonzo sound is what I'm going for the 28 inch radio King would not be the way to go?
__________________
1Eyed Jack Pearl/Paiste/Aquarian/Vick Ferth
Drums Pearl Master Custom Extra 1997
10x12 Tom
11x13 Tom
16x16 Floor Tom
6x14 Tama Star Phonic Snare Drum
18x24 Bass Drum
Cymbals Paiste
14"Dark Crisp Hats
17"&19"Sig Full Crashes 20"Giant Beat Multi
21" Sig Dry Heavy Ride
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-26-2014, 06:11 PM
vintagemore2000 vintagemore2000 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10,683
Default Re: Big Bass Drum Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Eyed Jack View Post
so, if the Bonzo sound is what I'm going for the 28 inch radio King would not be the way to go?
not with radio kings period. you'll get a killer sound but not the bonham sound,
__________________
Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Eminent Destiny Eminent Destiny is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Riverside CA
Posts: 625
Default Re: Big Bass Drum Poll

One thing to consider with large bass drums is mounted tom placement. I have a 28 radio king kit and I rarely play it because it's a pain to tune and puts your mounted tom way to the outside or high in the clouds. I'm 5'10 and sit pretty high on a kit....And it's still annoying having the mounted tom out there. I love my 24. I've never owned a 26, so I cannot comment on it.....yet. Also, your tuning preference is a big factor in this in my opinion. My RK 28 doesn't sound good on the lower side of the tuning range. Pitch it high with a single felt on the batter side, and it wails. But sounds kinda funky sitting behind it. Also feels kinda weird on the beater bounce. However, everyone else is getting the percussive equivalent of an atomic bomb and the tone is much nicer in the audience section as well as in the mix of the music. A Rogers bass pedal with the ability to raise the beater axis might serve well with a 28 to put that beater head to the center without compromising response. The 24 is much more easier to deal with in all aspects I think...
Jason
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-27-2014, 04:37 AM
brushbaby brushbaby is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 168
Default Re: Big Bass Drum Poll

I have a 26 on my Radio Kings, a 28 Leedy orphan and an 18 on my Leedy bop kit. They all perform for different gigs, as for a favourite it would have to be the 26, it moves air but stays in control, before I got the 26" the largest bd I had owned was a 22" and I mainly played 20". I'm a total convert.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-27-2014, 10:29 AM
1Eyed Jack 1Eyed Jack is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 25
Default Re: Big Bass Drum Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminent Destiny View Post
One thing to consider with large bass drums is mounted tom placement. I have a 28 radio king kit and I rarely play it because it's a pain to tune and puts your mounted tom way to the outside or high in the clouds. I'm 5'10 and sit pretty high on a kit....And it's still annoying having the mounted tom out there. I love my 24. I've never owned a 26, so I cannot comment on it.....yet. Also, your tuning preference is a big factor in this in my opinion. My RK 28 doesn't sound good on the lower side of the tuning range. Pitch it high with a single felt on the batter side, and it wails. But sounds kinda funky sitting behind it. Also feels kinda weird on the beater bounce. However, everyone else is getting the percussive equivalent of an atomic bomb and the tone is much nicer in the audience section as well as in the mix of the music. A Rogers bass pedal with the ability to raise the beater axis might serve well with a 28 to put that beater head to the center without compromising response. The 24 is much more easier to deal with in all aspects I think...
Jason
Thanks for the advice, but I wasn't planning on mounting my toms
anyway. As far as sound goes I'm really curious about RK's because of the mahogany/poplar.
__________________
1Eyed Jack Pearl/Paiste/Aquarian/Vick Ferth
Drums Pearl Master Custom Extra 1997
10x12 Tom
11x13 Tom
16x16 Floor Tom
6x14 Tama Star Phonic Snare Drum
18x24 Bass Drum
Cymbals Paiste
14"Dark Crisp Hats
17"&19"Sig Full Crashes 20"Giant Beat Multi
21" Sig Dry Heavy Ride
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
24" , 26" , 28"

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign