Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Restoring Vintage Drums

Old 01-27-2019, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

Default Club date bearing edge repair

Hey y'all. I've finally decided to get around to fixing up some club dates I picked up last year and upon closer inspection have found the bearing edges to not be in the best condition on the two toms. Pictures here.

The floor tom isn't in the worst condition but one edge of the mounted tom has definitely seen better days. It's got a big split and a large nick taken out of it.

I should state I have little experience in true restoration outside of hardware cleaning and polishing so I'm not sure how to go about fixing these edges. I'm not too worried about the tiny nicks and scratches on each of the drums but I figure the large chunks need to be taken care of.

Can anyone walk me through how to fix those? Is it better to send it off to get them professionally done? I'd imagine some wood putty and sanding is necessary.

Thanks a ton.

Also, if anyone knows where to find replacement tension rods for club date toms, I'd be eternally grateful!
Old 01-28-2019, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Club date bearing edge repair

I recommend sending them to Precision Drum in New York. They have to proper equipment to do the work. Good luck with your quest.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

the drum with split, I would pack it with epoxy glue, as for the dents & nicks, would find a friend with a router table & some bits, recut the bearing edges, don't need to take much off.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

Personally I'd do those in my shop, but if - as you say- you have little experience with this- take to a pro- if you don't feel confident you can do it you will regret it -IF it turns out 'sub-par'... If you have wood-workers in your area you can ask if they feel confident enough but stress that the bearing edge is an important factor that MUST be correct. Good luck!
Old 02-05-2019, 10:40 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I second jDragon see if you have a reputable guy in your area.
I am planning on getting a router but am going to try my hand on a few cheap shells first. A professional should know what could go wrong with splintering, or more cracking, and know how to avoid it.
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow