Old 08-06-2016, 12:59 PM

Default 1977 Vistalite set question(s)
I am a bass player/musician and have always wanted to learn to play drums. Just enough to help with my bass playing as well as overall musicianship. So this cat I am playing with now is 67 years old and he has decided to "retire" from music. He has the kit in which you see the pictures here. What you see is what he said he would sell me.

Many will say their drums are in "mint" shape when perhaps they are not. But honestly, these are 9.5/10. The only reason I say 9.5 because unless they are brand new, nothing deserves a 10. All serial numbers are sequential so this kit was bought as it is, minus the snare. He did not like the vistalite snare so is including another Ludwig snare. He is including all of the original hard cases which are in the same condition. Apparently this drum set has been housed and not used except for about two years when they were first bought. I do know the toms are concert toms so he has Evans hydraulics on the two middle toms and the floor tom. It also has a speedking pedal, identical to Bonham's setup. It has a 24" kick drum. If I buy and learn on this kit I will only make it a 5-piece. Way too many drums for a newbie like me!!

So here are my questions:

1) He said these drums are worth more but will sell them to me for $1000. I am not going to turn around and sell them but what would you estimate the value to be?

2) Being a seasoned musician but a newbie drummer, is this a kit that would serve me well for my purpose of learning drumming fundamentals and some good grooves?

3) I would like to take some lessons here locally to give me a head start then plan on going forward learning on my own as I have on all of my other instruments. Do you have any suggestions on learning DVD's/books that would be designed for an already musician to learn drumming fundamentals?

Thanks and I appreciate any opinions.

JWH
Attached Thumbnails
Old 08-06-2016, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Default Re: 1977 Vistalite set question(s)
Obviously can't see everything in the pictures, but from what I can see, that set is worth more than $1000 easily. Very nice!

As far as working for you, only you can determine that, but I see no reason that they aren't fully functioning for what you want.
Ludwig 201 Speed King bass drum pedal
Ludwig 1124 Spur-lok hit-hat with Ludwig Standard Paiste 14” cymbals (760 & 770 gr) with ching-ring
Two Ludwig Standard S-270 cymbals stands
18” Zildjian crash cymbal (1550 gr) and 20” Zildjian ride cymbal (2130 gr) with CAMCO sizzler
Gibraltar motorcycle seat-style drum throne with backrest
Old 08-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

If I was gonna get a Ludwig kit, I`d get that one. I`d pay a thousand for it too.

That kit has heavy hit written all over it.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 08-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

With hydraulic heads it will thunder nice price that's what there worth on a good day a little more
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:05 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Looks like there is a grey ghost pedal,along with a speed king pedal,plus the acrolite snare,that is 250.00 bucks right there,so 750.00 for eight drums and the hardware is a great deal,considering the condition,and the fact that that kit is a time capsule,very nice example of the Era,drum wise and time wise IMO.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:43 PM

Thanks for all of the replies, guys. I didn't know that was an acrolite snare (hence my ignorance) so I guess that's a good thing. I don't think the ghost pedal is included but maybe it is. I will ask him. I remember him saying he has a "kick ass" customized pedal so maybe he is throwing that in?? I really don't think I can pass this up, especially when it has all of the original hard cases. I am excited to invest some time and energy into learning how to play. As a bassist, I seem to often pull back the drummer to be more in the pocket and not on top of things, particularly when I am singing. Nothing harder than trying to sing when things feel rushed. Maybe I will gain a new appreciation and not be so hard on you all!! LOL

PS One thing he did mention is that front skin on the kick is the original. He has another one that is ported and he says that would sound better than what is on it now. I guess I can try both. Any ideas on that?
Old 08-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhampt View Post
Thanks for all of the replies, guys. I didn't know that was an acrolite snare (hence my ignorance) so I guess that's a good thing. I don't think the ghost pedal is included but maybe it is. I will ask him. I remember him saying he has a "kick ass" customized pedal so maybe he is throwing that in?? I really don't think I can pass this up, especially when it has all of the original hard cases. I am excited to invest some time and energy into learning how to play. As a bassist, I seem to often pull back the drummer to be more in the pocket and not on top of things, particularly when I am singing. Nothing harder than trying to sing when things feel rushed. Maybe I will gain a new appreciation and not be so hard on you all!! LOL

PS One thing he did mention is that front skin on the kick is the original. He has another one that is ported and he says that would sound better than what is on it now. I guess I can try both. Any ideas on that?
Try both, see which one you like better. It's all about sound and personal taste. Great deal there, though! That's a lot of drum for little money.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhampt View Post

I would keep the original head as long as it is not stretched all the way. As a Bass axe player, you will appreciate the sizes as opposed to jazz players. I play C-Toms, and love them. Tuned to the lowest note, they will carry a note, tuned high, they will be heard for miles. There is always a "sweet" spot that makes them sustain as a T-T would if pointed down.

I don`t know why people don't value them. If all those were not square and had another head, You could get 5, easy, because they have been kept well.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 08-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Those look to be pretty clean and well cared for. I'd give him a grand for them.
1969 Ludwig BB Blue Oyster Keystone Clubdate
1971 Ludwig BB Black Oyster
Early 60's Camco Oaklawns Champagne Sparkle
Old 08-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
I would keep the original head as long as it is not stretched all the way. As a Bass axe player, you will appreciate the sizes as opposed to jazz players. I play C-Toms, and love them. Tuned to the lowest note, they will carry a note, tuned high, they will be heard for miles. There is always a "sweet" spot that makes them sustain as a T-T would if pointed down.

I don`t know why people don't value them. If all those were not square and had another head, You could get 5, easy, because they have been kept well.
Thank you for your input. Please forgive my ignorance as I am sure what you are saying makes sense but I need some clarification on a couple of points. Your comments with my questions:

Thanks for your comment. Please forgive my ignorance, but you used some terms I am not familiar with. Here is your comment with my asking you to clarify:

I would keep the original head as long as it is not stretched all the way.

*** You are referring to the front drum head I believe. You believe it will be superior to a ported head? It certainly looks vintage with that big "LUDWIG" name across the top. How will I know if it is stretched all the way?

As a Bass axe player, you will appreciate the sizes
as opposed to jazz players. I play C-Toms, and love them. Tuned to the lowest note, they will carry a note, tuned high, they will be heard for miles.

*** So you are saying (after I learn to tune the drums) to tune them low as opposed to high? And when doing so they will be more "in tune"?

There is always a "sweet" spot that makes them sustain as a T-T would if pointed down.

***So my concert toms should be pointed more downward than a double headed tom (is that a T-T?)?

*** What do you mean if they were not all square?

Thank you and again, please forgive my ignorance. I was going to PM you but I figured there are other newbies out there that may not have understood and they could benefit from this as well.