Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 09-01-2017, 12:40 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Rogers Kit with 14x18 Bass Drum

This kit is listed as original from 1967. Based on the location of the wrap seams, I would say the wrap is not original. What say you guys?

Still a nice kit overall and at a fair price in my view even if it is a re-wrap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960...4AAOSwWjpZqHcE
Old 09-01-2017, 06:31 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Rogers Kit with 14x18 Bass Drum

Was solid white a color option that early on? I don't see it listed on a swatch page prior to 1973 in the catalogs I have (which may be incomplete).
Old 09-01-2017, 07:29 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Dan,

I also don't see any indication of New England White until the 1973 catalog. Could it have been available earlier? Most likely, but I'm not sure it was available in 1966-67. I do agree that the wrap seam on the floor tom raises suspicion, but not sure about the bass drum, simply because I don't have any 18" bass drums in my picture collection showing the location of the seam, which MAY have been different from 20" and 22" bass drums. The discoloration around the "Rogers" logo suggests it has been there quite some time, but still could be a re-wrap. This is a tough call and the only way to better judge is to remove heads and check for other details of the wrap job.

Still, like you said, it's still a nice kit at a fair price. And...they are accepting offers.

-Mark
Old 09-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Mark, Dan,

Yah, that's a rewrap, but still very nice. Everything else looks right. Whoever rewrapped it should have, at least, learned where the seams should be placed, and also should have used the same white wrap for the bass hoop inlays (instead of that terrible silver).

Mike
Old 09-01-2017, 10:07 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchair303 View Post
Mark, Dan,

Yah, that's a rewrap, but still very nice. Everything else looks right. Whoever rewrapped it should have, at least, learned where the seams should be placed, and also should have used the same white wrap for the bass hoop inlays (instead of that terrible silver).

Mike
Hi Mike!

Thanks for weighing in on this issue. I went back an re-read the eBay description, which says the kit was acquired from the original owner. I'm wondering if the eBay seller can contact the owner and find out. I may go ahead and send a message and see what response I can get.

-Mark
Old 09-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Here's a picture of my 14x18 and seam location. Seams are always centerline of the lug with the seam facing downward. The 14x14 is definitely not factory, unless they were really off that day. Given the bass also looks wrong and the fact noted above that NE White was not available until '73, I think it is definitely a re-wrap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0320 (1300x1192).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	111951  
Old 09-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I wrote seller and asked about internal paper badges to help verify dates. No reply from them yet.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boucher View Post
This kit is listed as original from 1967. Based on the location of the wrap seams, I would say the wrap is not original. What say you guys?

Still a nice kit overall and at a fair price in my view even if it is a re-wrap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1960...4AAOSwWjpZqHcE

Are we looking at the same kit ?

White slant badge Rogers ?

FT seam under lugs far back from badge.
BD seams under lugs just under the spurs,..
Cant see a tom seam but can`t see far back from the badge under lugs where it should be.

What`s wrong with the seams again ?

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 09-01-2017, 09:25 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Basically, you wouldn't be able to see both the Rogers script and the seam of the floor tom in the same photo. The seam lies between the tone control and one leg at the rear of the drum. The seam edge faces the drummer if played right-handed with the Rogers script facing the audience. So the seam on this floor tom is out of the normal factory position.

Bass drum seam is under lugs, but not under the centerline of the lugs and the edge appears to be is facing upward and not downward toward the floor.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:14 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boucher View Post
Basically, you wouldn't be able to see both the Rogers script and the seam of the floor tom in the same photo. The seam lies between the tone control and one leg at the rear of the drum. The seam edge faces the drummer if played right-handed with the Rogers script facing the audience. So the seam on this floor tom is out of the normal factory position.

Bass drum seam is under lugs, but not under the centerline of the lugs and the edge appears to be is facing upward and not downward toward the floor.
Exactly! I also messaged the seller, but have heard nothing.

-Mark