Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 07-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ludwig Jazzettes

Thanks Kurt! Yours are still as beautiful as ever, too!

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 07-25-2017, 07:03 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Love the Red Sparkle Jazzette! Can you imagine finding that at a yard sale?? Wow. Love seeing that particular original head. I had one of those on a '69 SBP Club Date kit. Some questioned the upper block logo instead of the old script. But that's the right head, transitional with block up top and script style on the bottom. Lovely!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:08 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton View Post
Some questioned the upper block logo instead of the old script. But that's the right head, transitional with block up top and script style on the bottom. Lovely!
They actually started that in '68 as well...with the really small new corporate logo. I remember my kit had that on it's original front head. Like you said, people questioned it, but it was the real deal. Dad had the front head off that for a long time, but he kept the hoop & head in storage. When I was in high school and working part time, I saved up to buy the lugs, claws & t-rods to put the head back on it. He had raided some of the hardware for a project 26" bass drum he was fixing up sometime in the mid-70's. It had the front head on it again from about 1985 till the day it was traded in sometime in the early 90's. People questioned the logo then, but I always assured them, it was the real deal and original to the drum. So was the batter head come to think of it......
Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Lugs View Post
Thanks Kurt! Yours are still as beautiful as ever, too!
Thanks O-Lugs! There are some beautiful ones out there. I blessed just to have one of them!

I agree about the small block logo being cool. I absolutely love seeing it on late 60's Ludwigs with keystone badges. My 69 mod orange has it's original one like that as well and it just looks so cool to me.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:05 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

My almost first set was a Leedy Jet in champagne sparkle. Today, it would be incredibly rare. I say "almost," because it went back to the store from which it came the next day. It's a long story that I'll abbreviate.

I took drum lessons at a glitzy music store at age fourteen. They sold us a Slingerland Jet set. When the drums came in, they were Leedys, not Slingerlands. I picked them up on a Friday afternoon, but my mom noticed they weren't Slingerlands. She called my father, who said, stop playing them, they're going back to the store. Sure enough, we took the drums back next morning, my father got his money back, and I quit taking lessons there. That music store couldn't get Slingerlands, because there already was a Slingerland dealer in town; Broad Music.

We drove around the corner to Broad Music and I enrolled with my real teacher, Carl Wolf, who determined I was doing everything wrong and started me from square one. I got my Slingerlands six months later.

The glitzy music store went out of business within two years. Serves them right.
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60s MIJ Apollo/Majestic, Red Sparkle, 13/16/20
'60s Stewart, Gold Sparkle, 12/13/16/22

Author of the book, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."
Old 09-17-2019, 06:21 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Lugs View Post
As we know, Ludwig just shortened the shell by 2" and kept the traditional wood hoop/T-rod aesthetic.
Yes and no.......the shell was nothing new that they had to retool for, so technically it was not a cut down 14x18 shell......they offered the marching "timp-toms" in the 12x18 size at the time, so they just used one of those shells and mounted the appropriate hardware for an outfit drum and voila! Instant Jazzette bass drum that satisfies a new endorser at the time
Old 09-17-2019, 08:32 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

^Yes, exactly. They "created" something new from something old for Mr Haynes.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:03 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

As far as the 12x18 shell, the Gold Coast bass drum debuted in the '63 Supplemental catalog. It was also a 12x18 bass drum.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:58 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I guess the best way to say it is that Ludwig tried several ways to make the 12 X 18 drum applicable, but the most famous way was the application of it to the Jazzette kit.

And by the way, Premier also had an extremely cool little bop kit of their own with a 12 X 18 bass drum (If I remember correctly)...maybe someone can produce a picture of it....? It might have preceded the Jazzette, too....but not sure. Something tells me Premier had theirs in '65.

Last edited by O-Lugs; 09-18-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:13 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Oh dang! I guess it was me who posted it 8 years ago! LOL! The mind goes with age......

Here it is..on yet ANOTHER thread about bop kits! LOL!

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=20650

Last edited by O-Lugs; 09-17-2019 at 01:18 PM.